The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring in nest of dolls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ithomson
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of ithomson
Somewhere I've read an effect where a borrowed finger ring is vanished and reproduced in the smallest doll of a nest of dolls.

Typically, for the life of me I can't remember where I've seen this. Can anyone help?

Many thanks.

Ian
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Just have 2 of the small dolls.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I'd like to find this reference, too, since I have a nest of dolls that someone brought back from Russia. I have been thinking of doing something like this with it for some time. I have been thinking along the lines of nest of boxes or bag in the matchbox.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of RS1963
There was a routine in a Linking Ring where I think it was a bill that was found inside of the smallest doll. Can't remember what year or month it was tho. I believe it was in an issue from the mid 80's to early 90's I know it was no earlier then the 1980's

As Pete Biro said it should not be too hard to work out a way todo it on your own.
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
It was an English children's entertainer who I saw do this in a lecture. It wasn't Trevor Lewis but someone I always confuse with Lewis.

The guy does his entire act out of a 12" cube table.

I'll keep thinking.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
ithomson
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of ithomson
Quote:
On 2005-08-26 20:35, Pete Biro wrote:
Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Just have 2 of the small dolls.

Agreed. But I'd like the reference.

Ian
Prof. Alexander
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Prof. Alexander
Hi Guys

I think what you are looking for is:

The Saga of Sarah Sausage

The mechanics are: a chosen ring disappears and reappears in the middle of a nest of Russian dolls.

You’ll find more details at: http://www.practical-magic.com/

In the children magic section.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

All the best
Prof. Alex
I met this chap at the Olympics. I said to him, "Excuse me but are you a pole vaulter?" he replied "No, I'm German, but how did you know my name was Walter?"
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
The young (at that time) man had a one man Parade and I think he also had a cover on The Linking Ring Magazine in the time frame someone else mentioned i.e. '70's to 80's. He also had some nice Okito box moves, too. Does anyone have the Linking Ring on Disk to do a fast check? Smile (I don't believe he was English nor did the effect require a duplicate doll.)
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Terry Herbert is not who I was thinking of.
Bill Esborn

Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Okay Guys, return to a thread from a couple of months ago.

The name of the UK Magician was Tony Curtis.

I came across the lecture notes when looking for something the other day.

Contact info UK 01622-862932, Int. 44-1622-862932

49 Longham Copse, Downswood, Maidstone, Kent, ME15 8TL, U.K.
Bill Esborn

Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
I believe it was Bill Wisch who had the one man parade in the linking ring. Although it might have been Genii I'm thinking of, he had a cover issue. It was definately in the 80's. I remember the bill in the nest of dolls being described in one of them.

Joe H
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Check out Visions-online website. There is a challenge with several solutions to this ploy.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2005-11-18 15:13, Joe Howard wrote:
I believe it was Bill Wisch who had the one man parade in the linking ring. Although it might have been Genii I'm thinking of, he had a cover issue. It was definately in the 80's. I remember the bill in the nest of dolls being described in one of them.

Joe H

No, the Linking Ring One-Man Parade I remember was not Bill. At some point in time I'll come across that issue because I recall he, whomever "he" is, also had a good Okito Box routine, too, and I think I saved that issue aside just for that...
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
I found my "Okito Coin Box" file!

The One Man Parade in the June, 1978 issue of the Linking Ring features a 25 year old Magician by the name of Jon Brunelle. His material is an interesting assortment of coin, card, Okito Box and even a smattering of Mental Magic.

In November of 1983 he's featured on the cover of the Linking Ring. On the inside he has again contributed a One Man Parade and this one includes a really great handling for the Signed Bill Transported Into The Third Of A Set Of Nested Dolls.

The name of the effect is "Thumbellina". There are several other very practical and useable effects in this Parade, too. I had the good fortune to attend one of his lectures in Chicago and can tell you first hand that his material is definitely worth researching.

I wonder if he is still around?

Happy Holidays, everyone! Smile