The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: A mistake? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I went to a ring meeting lecture last night. I don't want to name the lecturer. His performace was wonderful, and I think he was not a bad teacher. He showed good effects that many would take home and practice and learn fairly easily.

My problem was his language. I spoke with him briefly before the meeting, and felt his choice in words was "salty", but that was before he was on stage. I felt he would clean up when we started. His language stayed coarse. He made rude sexual iniendos etc.

I have no clue if he does that on stage. Obviously if one is doing bachelor parties or "adult" entertainment , that might be expected, but in general, I was offended, not by the languge, but by his not respecting the audience enough to clean it up in front of the ladies. Were there children in the audience? not this night thatnkfully. Would he have cleaned up for them? I don't know, but I believe not.

Forgive the soapbox, but I remember that what one magician does, reflects on the whole profession.

Pardon my rave.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
Yeah,

Our Club here meets in a "Church-House" and I am always amazed by the lectures that come in and use foul language among other things. It's not that hard to use a bit of good judgement.

Just my soapbox too.

Robert Jones
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Did you want to see the lecturer? Was he booked because of who he IS? He probably ascribes to the same philosophy I do: If you want me, book me. If you want Mr. Rogers, book him.

And if it's who I think it is, then yes, he uses language like that onstage. And his material dictates where he performs, not the other way around. Not all magicians are family entertainment!

Not a soapbox.
BDC
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asper
What do you want done about it?
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Ya know...My wife and I went to a live Penn & Teller show once. We were both surprised to see so many children of every age in the audience. Did these people think this was David Copperfield? Penn, as usual, never skipped a beat. Everyone got a good earful of the real and unapologetic Penn. The standing-room only theare was only half full following intermission. The same thing happened when The Amazing Jonathan came to town. We have to understand that magicians vary in personality, style and content rating. As a buyer, you should be aware of who is performing. If their style is likely to offend you and yours...avoid the lecture or performance. I find it ridiculous to expect other magicians to conform to a preconceived code established by a conservative few. Magic is art. Art pushes the limits. So may it ever be.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I'll tell you big daddy, I can respect what you are saying, but I also have to imagine that you present yourself such that a booker would not send you to a family or childrens show.

I don't really care if someone swears or uses inuendo, it can be very funny and entertaining when done right. Just there is a time and a place for everything, and this wasn't it.

as for what I want done about it... Nothing, I was just blowing off steam.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Quote:
I don't really care if someone swears or uses inuendo, it can be very funny and entertaining when done right. Just there is a time and a place for everything, and this wasn't it.

Weren't you at HIS lecture that your club ASKED him to lecture at?

I would say that WAS the time and place for whatever he wanted to do/say, since it was his lecture....