The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Masks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
I was in Jo-Anne's fabrics today and I saw plastic face masks and I thought why not try and gimmick it to do a Jeff McBride thing. You know for an opener. I was wondering how can I make a mask switch a look and at the same time not get sued up to the yin yang by Jeff McBride.

Wikiro Smile
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
simage
View Profile
New user
Idaho
30 Posts

Profile of simage
You should rent the movie "The king of masks" it is about a street performer in China who does Sezchuan Mask changes. This is a highly guarded secret. I couldn't find anything about it anywhere other than people raving about how cool it is and how protected it is. Check it out. It uses silk masks and wouldn't infringe on McBride at all (I wouldn't think)
Definitely a nerd, in science, technology, and magic.
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Thanks Simage
Ive been looking to but haven't found a thing yet.
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
magicsiow
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
102 Posts

Profile of magicsiow
Ya,Sezchuan Mask changes is really cool!!! I m the one who perform it.there are many vesion and method... I create a new way and method of the masks change.I spend much time and money to up grade and create many imposible method. It really cool when I perform it for live audiences, they all stunned and yell...it's one of the highest secret art in China. but I m not from China.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Masks aren't new to magic... they're new to our generation.
I can imagine numerous way to perform the classic.
For example, Place one hand over your face, one on the back of your head, rotate your head 180 degree's, reverse the action for a color change.
POOF!
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
248 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Quote:
On 2002-10-27 17:32, wikiro wrote:
I thought why not try and gimmick it to do a Jeff McBride thing. You know for an opener. I was wondering how can I make a mask switch a look and at the same time not get sued up to the yin yang by Jeff McBride.

Wikiro

I am not sure that Jeff will actually sue you, but would probably ask you to stop.

What would bother me more would be knowing that others would say, That magician is pretty good with those masks, but you should see Jeff McBride do them. Jeff has worked that routine to perfection through years of work, rehearsal, and performance. If anyone else would try it, it would be a pale second.

Be magic ~ Fredrick
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
The Reverend
View Profile
New user
Scotland
66 Posts

Profile of The Reverend
Wikiro,

I would tend to agree with Fredrick.
Jeff McBride comes across as a very passionate performer and fiercely proud of his own stuff.

I met him at the Blackpool Convention 2001 and after asking him a very straightforward question seeking beginners advice, he became very condescending, offhand and sarcastic. His partner Abby then quickly came to the rescue and kindly answered my question.
It was all very embarassing.

Good luck with whatever you choose to pursue regarding masks.

cheers,
Stephen.
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Great story Stephen, What question did you ask him?

Tom
The Reverend
View Profile
New user
Scotland
66 Posts

Profile of The Reverend
Hi Tom,

As a bit of background, at the convention, I had just came up from the International dealers area (approx 85 x dealers!) in the Empress Ballroom and had spotted some books by Eugene Burger for sale. I had been reading a lot about Eugene Burger at that time. I admired his thinking. I had also read that Jeff and Eugene had worked closely together.
Also, bearing in mind that I had a set "budget" for that weekend given my son and I's travel/accomodation costs etc, I asked Jeff what Eugene Burger book he would recommend for a beginner, either "The Performance of Close-up Magic" or "Mastering the Art of Magic"?

He went all vague then and in a very loud theatrical voice said:
"Art of Magic books?" I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean?

At that point, Abby Spinner then quietly said to him:
"You know the ones, the ones published by Kaufman"

"Oh those!" he replied.

"Buy em all!!! Buy every one of them - thanks for your question!"

Maybe I just got him on a bad afternoon but if I compare that experience to meeting Michael Ammar and his wife that weekend, they were so very helpful and genuine.

cheers, Stephen