The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: REQUEST:phil Cass 3shell game dvd (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
art the magic guy!
View Profile
Regular user
back in the USA, FINALLY!!
159 Posts

Profile of art the magic guy!
Im interested but haven't read any decent reviews other than "he's good" anyone care to share ?
I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER
I will ALWAYS place the mission first
I will NEVER accept defeat
I will NEVER quit
I will NEVER leave a fallen comrade
----I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER----
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10974 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I have his vhs tape,, I hear he uses another magicians routine . Not sure on this but if you contact Scott Guinn he can fill you in on the details ...
the godsfather if nagic

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
ullig
View Profile
New user
Germany
39 Posts

Profile of ullig
I also have the "Phil Cass Video". It should have the same content as the dvd except may be the additional routine "Fishermen's Wharf Special" which is on the tape.
To the shell game routine: It's the Supershells routine by Gary Ouellet. But it's a 20 (!) minutes act. Phil Cass plays against an audience member with real money (that is what he tells and he sounds serious) and that guy looses 100 $ - he is so shure that he will win!
This routine is a great example of psychology in a scam and audience management. And Phil Cass is a strange guy.
If you are interested in polishing your shell game routine buy this disc.

Ulli
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I think this is a very important routine by a fine artist. Phil has a very unique way of looking at the presentation of the shells, and it will be thought-provoking and stimulating for anyone working on a shell game exhibition. I am not sure many people would want to try to emulate this presentation, it requires someone with real performing talent and an edgy sense of humor. But watching Phil's performance gave me a lot of new ways of looking at things. It changed my presentations.
art the magic guy!
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

SO MR Haydin, do you feel this dvd could compliment your SFS shell dvd? I already have yours, great dvd, I just want to expand my horizons--
I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER
I will NEVER quit
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
It would be a very nice complement. It may open new presentation possibilities for you.

BTW, had any luck with the "Old Army Game" with your buddies?
art the magic guy!
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Old army Game? Im not sure what is it you are refering to, but if is the shell, I'm still working on it, I don't like to present things that I have not practiced and get a good solid routine with all outs, and it usually takes at least 4-5 months for me to get to that level--- but so far I'm even impressing myself so guess it's an improvement! Smile
I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER
I will NEVER quit
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24318 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The "other magician's routine" that Phil uses is Gary Ouellette's Supershells routine. He states that from the outset. If you have the Supershells routine, you will find some good ways of enhancing the communication with a larger audience than you normally have with a shell game.

Almost all shell game routines have some material from other performers in them. There is not much of a way you can get around that. Jack Chanin published the first book on the Shell Game in 1934, and every book since that has had some material from that book in it. You can't keep from doing that, really. The shells work one way, basically.

The Phil Cass routine is a keeper.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
WizzBang
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of WizzBang
As a fellow Aussie, Phil Cass style and humour is great in our country. I have the VHS version and although I would never perform his way he has some great ideas and does make you think how you will present the three shell game. If you perform the three shell game its worth having
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1700 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Most entertaining version of the Three Shell Game I've seen.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
"The most commercial and magical Pea and Shell game I'ver ever seen..... and I've seen 'em all"

....Roger Klause

Stay with it to 3:40, because Phil adds impossibility to it at that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoSyRqA9sEA
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Phil's DVD is:

a. the most entertaining shell game. period.
b. not for the beginner.
c. probably not practical in all situations.
d. worth buying just to be amazed at the entertainment factor.

I HIGHLY recommend Bob Kohler's routine for a beginner because it is wonderful and teaches everything you need to know and more.
It teaches a lot of things that are really understated or even ignored as far as psychology go. it's a flawless routine, IMO.

I would then recommend the offerings by SFS/Sheets and Patrick Page to expand on what you know.
I would also recommend the booklet on "Patterns" by Peter Woerde I bought it and really like it.

Lastly I would recommend you NOT purchase the penquin dvd by Jay Nozebleeda. It's beyond awful in so many ways.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10974 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Phils's routine is a great gambling take..
there are also other dvds available
bob sheets... glenn morphew Boot camp,,,,, and Whit haydn and chef anton school for schoundrels
these are the latest and of course the very best using new ideas for the shell game
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
hotjacket
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of hotjacket
I'm very late to the party on this one, but Phil Cass's version is the funniest, most *entertaining* version I have ever seen. The psychology behind how he gets a spectator to go from a $1 bet to something much larger is worth the asking price alone. I had it on VHS, and I want to get back into it, so I am buying it again on DVD - which should tell you something!