The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Euro tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
N14
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
78 Posts

Profile of N14
Hi,

First,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Does anyone know nice tricks to perform with the new euro coins.

And, (maybe to soon) are there already trick euro coins for sale?

Thanx

N14
magic_kris
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, KY
123 Posts

Profile of magic_kris
I saw from your introduction that you are fairly new to magic. May I suggest the book, "Modern Coin Magic" by J.B. Bobo as a great place to start. It should be available in most magic shops.

--Kris
N14
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
78 Posts

Profile of N14
Thanks,

I'll check it out.

N14
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Check out Bobo, for sure. Also, look at, "David Roth's Coin Magic Made Easy" videos. I'm looking forward to checking out the Euro coins. I'll be in the Netherlands in a couple of weeks, as well as the rest of Western Europe. Now I won't have to keep using different coins, for different countries, when I ask for a borrowed coin.
family/magic/music/life
martinkaplan
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
562 Posts

Profile of martinkaplan
I would think this would be the ideal time to perform an effect where you convert old European currency franc, drachma, peseta, Deutschemark - into the new Euro currency and you do not need a gaffed coin to make this happen. A simple Bobo switch can make it happen or, if you are looking for a routine, get in touch with Peter Marucci - who posts frequently here. He has an outstanding routine that will lend itself to the Euro theme.

-Marty
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
I'll second the motion for Mr. Marucci's routine. It would work great.
He who laughs, lasts.
omnibozo
View Profile
Regular user
Boulder, CO
151 Posts

Profile of omnibozo
Just received a full set of Euro coins from Holland (designs on the backs of the coins are specific to the nation of origin, while face designs are uniform for all of EU. All spend equally well in all EU nations).

Denomination, color and relative size follows:

2 Euro/silverish ring enclosing goldish center, slightly larger than US quarter.. Sorry, don’t have a Suzi or Weea at hand

1 Euro/goldish ring enclosing silverish center, slightly smaller than U.S. quarter

50 EU cents/goldish, slightly smaller than U.S. quarter but slightly larger than the 1 Euro coin, has unusual heavy knurling on edge... much coarser than milling

20 EU cents/goldish, slightly larger than U.S. nickel, edge has seven notches rather than knurling or milling

10 EU cents/goldish, slightly larger than U.S. one cent, same heavy knurling as EU 50 cents

5 EU cents/copperish, infinesimally larger than U.S. nickel (possible color change trick here!) smooth edge

2 EU cents/copperish, slightly larger than U.S. dime, smooth edge

1 EU cent/copperish, slighlty smaller than U.S. dime but thicker, smooth edge

In addition, the following coins are ferrous... that is, attracted to a magnet:

2 EU/1 EU... though the attraction is weak

20/5/1 cents... the copperish coins, are VERY attracted to the magnet.

Lots of coin magic possibilities here!

Bob LaRue

omnibozo
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
Presto magic in UK supply coin fekes/gaffs, including custom coins and soon to be released euro coin versions of popular gaffs/fekes.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I lived in Germany for a few years and of course made my way to a few magic shops.
"The Magic Hands" is one shop that I did business with.

Everything cost a lot more there then it does here in the good old U.S.A.
Fon
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
200 Posts

Profile of Fon
Agree, Bo Bo's book is the best place to start for coin magic.

Fon
Always thinking..........?
Marco Koch
View Profile
New user
Germany
63 Posts

Profile of Marco Koch
Hi everyone!

@omnibozo:
Thanks for your info on the Euro coins. But I'm sure you meant the 2 Euro cent coin is very attracted by a magnet, not the 20 Euro cent coin...

@Magical Dimensions:
There were some trouble with The Magic hands in the last years. They were sold to Wolfgang Wollet, who sold them again to the Mephisto Shop in Belgium and now it's once again sold and back in Germany.

If you want a good (but as always in Germany quite expensive) magic shop, you can try Stolina Magie in Oelde http://www.stolina.de
They carry the new Euro trick coins.

One bad thing about the new coins is that there is no really large coin amongst them.

Bye,
Marco.