The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Mark Wilson's 'Complete Course in Magic' - what, aside cards, do I need to get started right away (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
martink65
View Profile
New user
vienna - austria - europe
87 Posts

Profile of martink65
If the book arrives in time, I will have my first magic lessons on a small greek island - 2 weeks in the sun with my sweetheart Smile
what I like to know is: what will I need to follow the lessons? I'm pretty sure I need cards...but what else? does wilson start with cards or coins or balls or...?

any advice appreciated,
martin
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
What else do you need...an understanding sweetheart!

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
martink65
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of martink65
Smile))
well, jim, that shouldn't be a problem...uhm...at least I think so ;-)
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
You need nothing special for most of the book. After the cards section, he moves into "Money Magic." Most of this can be done with common coins and a handkerchief. A few tricks require some equipment.

Next comes "Rope Magic". Most of this can be done with rope, string or shoelaces from around the house. Public performances require a better quality rope.

"Silk and Handkerchief Magic" mostly requires silks.

"Impromptu Magic" and "Mental Magic" use household equipment (rubber bands, candies, paper clips, magazines, pencils, index cards ...).

"Make at Home Magic" will test your ability in sewing and carpentry.

The final sections involve more special props: sponge balls, billiard balls and cups & balls. "Magical Illusions" is beyond the starting out phase.

I believe the newest version of the book contains a final chapter beyond what I have mentioned here.

In short, get the book and start making magic right away!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
You've made a great choice starting with that book, Martin.

Take a deck of cards and the book, and you'll be fine for two weeks! Just make sure that you get your head out of the book from time to time and enjoy some of that Greek sunshine with your Sweetheart!

Then, as you work through the book, if a particular section appeals, get the necessary props when you need to.
martink65
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of martink65
Thank you guys - it seems that a deck of cards and maybe some coins will do for the two weeks. foucault, you are right - she knows me quite well, so I already had to promise to leave my beloved laptop at home ;-)
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
When the book was sold as a course, not just as a book, it came with several things. Some rope, sponge balls (or squares)a jumbo card and a thumb tip were a few of the items. But you can, as have said others, do quite well with cards to start.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
martink65
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of martink65
I ordered it at amazon - I just rechecked and it is book only. so if anyone is into buying the course (book & material) get it somewhere else.

martin kurzmann
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
I don't think that the course is sold with the props these days.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
That's right it has long ago stopped being sold as a course with materials. The Video version may possibly still be sold with props but is considerably more money. Likely it is now just the tapes. Any props you can't make or find around the home are easily obtainable on-line.

Like the Tarbell Course, many years ago it was a correspondence course. Today, just a super set of books. There is really not enough money to make a true correspondence course feasible.

Frank Tougs
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"