The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Accessories :: Tournament Multiplying Balls by House of Fakini :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Tournament Multiplying Balls by House of Fakini
-----------------oOo-----------------

Description: Fakini Tournament Multiplying
Manipulation Balls. These fine, professional quality magic props are crafted of washable, solid silicone. They have that "SPECIAL CLING" that makes the routines so much easier to perform. There is nothing else like them on the magic market! And they bounce, too! Each set includes three balls and that special gimmick - no instructions

------------------------------------------

The multiplying billiard balls trick is a classic of magic, having been a staple for countless performers for many years. Magicians such as Cardini and Burling Hull made the balls a feature of their acts and earned a well deserved reputation for their skill with these wooden balls. Indeed, most beginner magic sets include at least a plastic set, and many of the older sets were supplied with balls actually made from wood.

In the old days, a neophyte's magic skill level was often judged by his peers based on how well he handled the multiplying billiard balls and the famous cups and balls. I remember the first time I spent quality time with Larry Jennings, one of the first things he did was hand me a wooden billiard ball and asked me to show him something. Luckily I was prepared - would you have been? Smile

The standard set of balls that magic shops have carried for years are usually available in various sizes, normally turned from wood, colored fire engine red and manufactured by craftsman in Germany. I personally own two of these sets, and have had them for many years. I purchased my first set in 1974 and still bring them out of the little green box they came in when I want to practice my sleight of hand skills.
Manipulating cards or coins is one thing, balls are a whole different matter, especially one's made from wood.
They tend to be quite slick, not easy to palm and present a real challenge, even for seasoned professional's. Smile

Those who are seriously interested in learning to use these colored spheres can find a load of various routines and ideas scattered within the pages of numerous magic books, including the famous TARBELL series and Hays' AMATEUR MAGICIANS HANDBOOK. There is also an excellent DVD simply called; MULTIPLYING BALLS by Tim Wright which contains a wealth of information for any would-be manipulator.

Having said all that, many years back I was exposed to a set of balls manufactured by House of Fakini.
Aldo Colombini had several of these sets with him at a convention in California, and gave me the opportunity to play with these for a bit. I could not believe how well they handled. Though skill is still required to successfully present a routine with the Fakini balls, I have to say that they make a world of difference! It is unfortunate, but I made the mistake of NOT purchasing a set while I had the chance. I regretted making that decision for quite a number of years. You see, after that first encounter I quickly learned that obtaining a set (at ANY price) was almost impossible - I'm not kidding either!
Seems the folks at House of Fakini are not in too big a hurry to manufacture these bad boys, and consequently only release a few sets sporadically.

In that light, one can only imagine how happy I was when Mark Stevens of Stevens Magic Emporium sent me two sets to review here on The Magic Café. Seems that Mark and company are able to get these bad boys on a regular basis!
That is some of the best news I've heard in a very long time. Smile

The best part of this story is the balls I received are just like I remember them. Made from solid silicone, these are a delight to work with. Vanishes and productions come no easier then this, and moving the balls between your fingers takes only a minimum of effort. Tired of dropping a ball from time to time? No worries here - these balls bounce!
If soiled you can wash them and they'll look good as new.
Another plus for you purist out there, the Fakini gimmick perfectly match's the rest of the set. Those of you in the know will no doubt remember that the old gimmicks (in the wooden sets) were usually a bit lighter in color then the rest of the set - not so here.
I'll conclude by saying that under normal use, these should last you a lifetime and will probably be around for your grandchildren to enjoy.

My advice? If you have ever thought about getting a set of multiplying balls, the Fakini balls are the best ever made and you won't regret purchasing a set. Decide later that balls are not your cup of tea? Don't worry, you'll have no trouble finding a buyer. Already doing the multiplying balls but have never used the Fakini balls? Do yourself a big favor - buy a set, no - make that two sets right now!
My highest recommendation! Smile

My rating:

(Suggested retail is as follows)

2 INCH BALLS are - $140.00 per set
(Specify color - white or magenta
You can see them Here!

1 3/4 INCH BALLS are -$80.00 per set
(Specify color - white, magenta and now ROCKET
RED!)

Finally available again, what appears to be the most requested color of Fakini Balls in the past year is YELLOW. The pros say they work great in black light as well and thus the demand! Limited availability so act quickly. Grab'em now!

1 3/4 INCH BALLS are -$80.00 per set
(color is bright yellow)
You can see them Here!

Fakini Brand Multiplying Balls can be ordered directly from Stevens Magic Emporium

You can contact Stevens Magic Emporium at:
magic@stevensmagic.com

Visit the Stevens website to order direct: Click here!

Stevens Magic Emporium
2520 EAST DOUGLAS AVE
WICHITA, KS.
67214-4514 U.S.A.

Phone: (316) 683-9582
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks