The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical Accessories :: Your Favorite Close Up Pad??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jeff Jay
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale, Arizona
11 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jay
After getting back into the fraternity after a long vacation, I've been dissapointed with the quality of the pads that I've seen offered at my local shops. I purchased the only mat they had for $16.95. It's very thin, with a smooth foam top and backing. I picked the maroon color thinking that cards and coins would both show up well.

It's difficult to pick a pad from an internet or mail order source without actually handling the item.

In the past, I had a black pad that I think was marketed by Johnson. It had a nice, heavy rubber backing, and the surface was almost like a synthetic fur. I found it very easy to work on.

Here are my questions:

What is your favorite brand and model of pad?

What is your favorite color, and why?

What is the best color to use with invisible thread work?

Thanks for your input!

Jeff
"You never get a second chance to make a first impression!"
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Dean Dill makes gorgeous two-sided pads. Mine is a soft velvety black material on one side (great for coin assemblies, etc.) and a tougher red cloth with less padding on the other side (great for spreading cards). He also makes a model that holds loads (cards, jumbo coins).

These pads don't roll up or fold, however, but they do wear well. The one in the Magic Castle library has been there for years and still looks pretty much new.

Go to http://www.deandill.com.

Jerry
Alex Ng
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
62 Posts

Profile of Alex Ng
Folding Close-Up Pad - Bob James

I love it because it is easy to be carried and it's so durable.

I like black color, it make my cards more sharp and good with invisible thread work.
Mitch
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
157 Posts

Profile of Mitch
Dave Martinez close up pad.

http://stevensmagic.com/summertext/tools......p#trick1

Does not fold. Great surface. Super high quality. Only available from Steven's Magic in Black or Green but I got the one that is in the photo..sort of a burgundy.

Black is probably best for IT work.

Mitch
Mitch Solway
lmrmagic
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of lmrmagic
Check out the Magician's Choice Performance Mat. These are used by David Roth, Eric DeCamps, Bob Fitch, Simon Lovell, Dan Fleshman, Doc Eason, Johnny Thompson and Lennart Green and the mats come with a lifetime guarantee.

Click here
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
The best one I have ever had was a homemade one made from a rectangle of foam-backed bathroom carpet covered with black velvet (sewn round the edges).
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Most any of the Apollo brand or Gibsons, are good. Neither will let you down. Vegas green is a good all around color for all types of cards and coins. I like the bright red and use blue cards on them, but have green and black as well. The thin foam cheapie one you got is ok. I have a couple, and they can go through the washing machine, maby twice depending on who made them. Some of them, once is too much.

If you want a realy good one check the trickery for their gimmicked one. I think it made by Dean. Does a four ace assembly, and other gaffs are built in.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.