The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ninja Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John Pendleton
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of John Pendleton
Looking at the secret in Greater Magic, I see 4 different types. I assume nearly all sets use the "close" type (or else something very clever and expensive) ?

Anyone got a big preference for another type of linking rings secret ?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I really only know of two types. "open" and "closed" (camoflaged somehow)

Nearly all sets you buy today will be the standard "open" design. Nothing clever or expensive. It depends on your skill to conceal the "work." All the routines I described in the other thread are the "open" rings.

There are modifications of these two designs, but for the most part stick with the standard open design.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Quote:
On 2005-08-08 09:36, Pro-digitous wrote:
Rik - you can't be serious ? Did you really break a finger ?

I'm looking at the PM (zinc plated) 10" set, anyone have experience of these ?

I practiced that one arm blocked-link (think that is the name) a lot one night. I just did it over and over and over and over. A blister grew at the base of my pinky, and my nuckles of my four fingers were all very very red. I was practicing this with the ninja rings. I can imagine this sort of thing happenning for sure with a larger set.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
It was in fact the one armed blocked link that did it. I was using my 12" rings. I broke the pinkie knuckle. Finally I gave up on that move with the big rings. I'm not even trying the spin link.
John Pendleton
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of John Pendleton
Rik, That's what I call suffering for your art!
Darcy Brown
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Darcy Brown
The Ninja Rings is an effect that has the potential to be something incredibly beautiful... but it really needs to be performed more slowly than is demonstrated on the DVD.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I perform the ninjas all the time and it's a killer routine. I do it slower than the DVD. You're right. That helps. Sometimes there's music playing in the background and I try to go with it. That is nice.

This is a great routine for close-up and strolling.

I consider this my number one routine and for several reasons.

And Darcy is correct. Slow it down. Give the audience a chance to see just how great it is.

Get rid of the table moves and you'll be set to do it anywhere.

The only thing I did not like about the routine was the drawstring bag I used for the rings. They jangled around and I was never sure of the configuration of the rings coming out of the bag. . . hence the design for my ninja rings bags.

Problem solved.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
George Wang never released an instructional manuscript or video of his routine did he? Guess he knows how strong it is...
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Quote:
On 2005-12-28 12:48, Craig Ousterling wrote:
George Wang never released an instructional manuscript or video of his routine did he? Guess he knows how strong it is...

I recently saw Kainoa's lecture at Marc DeSouza's house and he did the routine. It was totally insane, it is just soooooo pretty!

-Bill
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Shoot Ogawa uses Chris Capehart's moves. He just made the rings smaller.
Chris has been doing those moves for years. I think Shoot finally did acknowledge that he got the idea from Chris. When Ogawa's video came out, Chris's phone was ringing off the hook. Everyone who know Chris called to tell him about it.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

But it's not Shoot's routine in the first place.
He was taught the routine by a japanese magician.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2005-07-30 19:05, Chessmann wrote:
Also, I think the table moves are great. The spin link does require more care to master, and it is something that won't be perfect 100% of the time, but the reactions I get are worth it. I *strongly* advise you to learn and use the spin link, skipping it only when the performing situation demands. Once you get it down, you will have a *wonderful* move, and it will be there for you whenever you like!

I agree. The table spin was one of the main things that caught my eye in the demo video.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
I loved the routine when I saw shoot do it. I bought it, worked on it, performed it (often to great reactions), and then dropped it from my act for two reasons.

1) Too many requests to examine the rings.

2) Too many embarrasing moments from people who had a set of rings. Spoiling the magic opennly. Often children.

Yes, there are "solutions" for these problems, but none, in my mind, address the real issues of exposure or examinablity.

I will sell my set w/dvd. PM me.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I met a professional magician from cluj last year. we became friends and we shared lots of stuff. he does stage and I do close-up.
I went to one of his shows and he performed a ring routine which impressed me. the rings were larger than the ones shoot uses. BUT he gave them all out for examination before and after the routine. (linking rings routine). it was beautiful. plus he has a wand levitation routine unlike anything I have ever seen.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I think the routine is good enough to disolve the typial notions of how they apparently work.

but if they don't work for you, for those reasons or any others, I applaud your dropping them. that's a difficult thing to decide to do.
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
I rememeber Dan Fleshman said something like this in his Restaurant Magic DVD "Even if you have seen it before it is still fun to watch". I added by saying "Even if you have seen it or even know how it is done, it is still fun to watch". Never had a problem after that. If the spectators want to see them, I'll just say "Sorry but mine is gold-plated and I've had people stealing them and I've learned my lesson ever since!"