The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Practice, Practice...Practice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Hi:

Just curious about how people practice. I've been of the ilk that I need to get the moves down, get the script down, then combine then two, then try it out on someone. However, those first few times I perform it I still feel kinks in it. Are there certainly people you perform for just to practice? I find that doing something over and over and over again helps immensely, but I don't want to make mistakes in front of people. Is this as given though?

Advice?

--Jon
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
This may be best posted in the "Time after Time" area but I'll assume it's about cards only.

You will likely find kinks in your first performances and that's a good thing.
Yes, it's a given. What looks and sounds good during mirror or video rehearsals may not work the way you want.
As far as who you test your trick on. Friends, family, co-workers, local grocery clerk, etc, etc.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16554 Posts

Profile of tommy
Hi Jon

I think a video camera helps. When I think I have got it, then I ask a couple of pals what they think. But I wish I had joined a magic club when I was a kid because then you can get some help from experts.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Hi:

Yes, I'm specifically talking about cards here...nothing else...

--Jon
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I think it should be said in magic - practice - practice - build up your practice of clients.

Just a thought!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
California
130 Posts

Profile of milamber
I would recommend that you invest in "The Magic of Ascanio: The Structural Conception of Magic" by Arturo De Ascanio.

His section on "How to Practice Magic" alone is worth the price of this book.

Steve
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Hi milamber
Where can I find "The Magic of Ascanio: The Structural Conception of Magic" online that offers free shipping to Toronto, Would you or anyone else know?
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3835 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I always perform the first few times to elderly people. They really enjoy the performance and are usually not prone to expose any mistakes you make.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
Go here for a few solid opinions on practice. It will help if you play an instrument as well. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......3&11 hope this helps.

peace,
the demon