The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magicians of old :: Vernon lecture video - underground (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
I was reading the interviews in Ascanio's book, and Tamariz mentions the existence of an underground video of a Dai Vernon lecture.

Is this still floating around?

I know it is an illicite video, however given the historical value, I believe this should resurface for the good of the magical community.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2005-07-21 16:14, pierredan wrote:
I know it is an illicite video, however given the historical value, I believe this should resurface for the good of the magical community.

Ha! In that case, I believe the attrative woman 3 aisles over from my desk should go out with me, for the good of the magical community.

I won't hold my breath for either event...
tjo'
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
If anyone wants to trade for it, send me a pm.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16554 Posts

Profile of tommy
I would be surprised if there were no tapes of Vernon or the attrative woman and TJ, but if you have all three on one tape, them keep it underground.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Quote:
On 2005-07-21 22:12, pierredan wrote:
If anyone wants to trade for it, send me a pm.

I second that. I'd love to trade for a copy of this.
Alniner
View Profile
Loyal user
Burlington, ON, Canada
254 Posts

Profile of Alniner
Quote:
On 2005-07-21 23:12, tommy wrote:

I would be surprised if there were no tapes of Vernon or the attrative woman and TJ, but if you have all three on one tape, them keep it underground.

I second that(keeping tapes of TJ hidden). Tristan is a great guy, but really, I don't want to see that. lol

Cheers Buddy!!! See you at browsers!
Skål

--
Alan
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Guys - there is no tape. Let me make that clear! I haven't even worked up the courage to walk 3 aisles over yet!!
tjo'
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Better lose that accordian if you really want to score. Smile

Robert
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:

So the good of the many outweighs the needs, or privacy rights, of the few?
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Ok. Never mind the social commentary about "the good of the magical community".

Does anyone else apart from Ascanio and Tamariz possess this tape?
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-07-22 13:29, Robert M wrote:
Better lose that accordian if you really want to score. Smile

Robert

Hey in Eastern Europe, that thing'll put more bread on the table than a 6 string any day! Actually, I'm sort of kidding. I played in a band with an accordian player years back, and I tell you, that's the instrument that easily got the most attention from the audience. Around these parts, it's unique, and people are always baffled by the fact that someone can "rock out" on one. I don't really play it, I play other things, but not the accordian.

Quote:
On 2005-07-22 14:06, pierredan wrote:
Ok. Never mind the social commentary about "the good of the magical community".

Does anyone else apart from Ascanio and Tamariz possess this tape?

And thank you for removing the cloak of good intentions, and being straight up.
tjo'
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27303 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
I was reading the interviews in Ascanio's book, and Tamariz mentions the existence of an underground video of a Dai Vernon lecture...

Depends, what are you offering in exchange?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Hello Jonathan,

I take it from your post that you possess this video. If you do, could you give me your impressions?

How does it compare to the Vernon revelations video series?

PM me if you want to talk about what you want in exchange.

Thank you.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
I have several tapes of Vernon doing lectures, at lectures, doing magic, etc. They are home film/video, shot for personal use. Dai knew they were being shot, and granted permission, but with the understanding that they were not for distribution. There is a lot of video around that is not commercial. For instance, I have about two hours of Tenkai. It is a conglomeration of old film, copied to video, from many sources. Again, it was never meant for distribution.

A lot of guys used to bring thier cameras to conventions and film guys, just for fun. this was long before the video craze. Some of us are lucky enough to have access to that old footage. I, for one, am happy to let folks watch it when they visit, but I'd feel funny making copies and sending it around.

If you look at some of the sites, like Glenn Bishop's, you'll see the kind of thing I mean. Glenn, very kindly, posted video from old film, of his Dad, Charlie Miller, and others. There is another site that has film from the old Chicago days, with Marlo and his crew. I'm not sure how stuff like this should be handled. On the one hand, people should be able to see it. On the other hand, is it really ours to distribute? I worry that someone will decide to turn the stuff into a commercial property and sell it - then the $$$ is going to the wrong place, and people who have a legitimate claim to the estate of, say, Dai Vernon, are not getting thier due. All in all a difficult call. I, personally, will treasure what I have, and screen it for anyone who comes to visit...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
Well, your posts have always gotten my attention. It seems as if you've lived a full life, and should be about 80 years old. Many people you've met, and places you've seen.

Now I want to see your place. Where in Boston shall I find you Smile
"Put your faith in Providence, but always cut the cards"
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Jonathan, how about my first born child .... now if a can just convince that girl three aisles over from O'Malley....
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
I have no idea what "underground tape" is being referred to here, but as PC mentions there are a number of tapes of Vernon performing around. During his lecture tour in the '70s with the fellow who did card fans (I can't remember his name - I think his first name was Joe), a tape was made of his lecture here in Washington, D.C with his full knowledge and permission. Home video cams did not exist then and we used ("borrowed") a 3/4" tape recorder that was used by the Dept. of Transportation to tape safety defects in autos. The camera was large and heavy (I got very tired of holding it on my shoulder). Vernon made a comment about "those fellows filming the lecture". We could only view the tape with the large play back equipment that played 3/4" tape so it had very limited useability. We finally gave the tape to a long time Vernon student who was collecting material on Vernon. There was an attempt to made a VHS copy of the tape but there were problems in getting a complete copy. I don't know that any other copies of the tape were made or if so, widely distributed. I would agree with PC that I would be very uncomfortable with distributing any such copies of the tapes.
I am sure there were other tapes made in later years after video equipment in smaller formats was readily available.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2735 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Bill the fellow doing card fans was Joe Cosari. Not sure if I spelled the last name right.