The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Street Magic :: Tv special...need help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan
Dear friends. I am shooting a 13 episode street magic special for TV (I have done specials for tv before) .....since it is to long (I mean 13x1/2 hour) I find myself short of fresh ideas. I don't want to repeat the same tricks in different versions.
The other problem I encountered is that the reactions are not as good as with the cameras. People in my country are normally kind of introverted and camera shy.
When I do without cam it's great, but once the lights are on they shy away. They are amazed no doubt, but they don't react the same way anymore. Can anyone help me overcome this problem???

Thanx in advance
cheers
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Could you give us a list of all the effects you've already done on the other specials so we don't repeat anything?

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

My earlier specials were all illusions...
this is my first street magic specials and they are all 13 weeks of them.....
so far I have only finised shooting for 2 in which I have done
double lift card stuff[card change in spectactors hand],some mind reading card effects[force],torn restored paper napkin,ring flight,ashes on the arm.pen thru dollar,crazy man handcuff,,cut restored rope,invisible deck,sponge balls,......
now we are shooting the montage and would really appreciate any input......thnx a zillion in advance
cheers
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
I could provide you with some hidden cameras? they work in day light, you probably wouldnt want them for your main shots, little to small. But, they are about 20mm square, so maybe inside a prop? flash pan? something? but I think for a few effects it would be good, you could hide them behind your tie?! but apart from that, you could travel maybe? or, no that wouldnt work, its to hot to think here, I'm going to lie down! daz
lane99
View Profile
Elite user
421 Posts

Profile of lane99
For my money, it's actually better if the spectators give a subdued response. A thoughtful person can see it as them being "so shocked they are speechless".

Personally I'm turned off by the cliche of the eyes popping out, gawking and screaming spectator I've seen on tv shows coming out of the US. I'm not sure why I feel this way, but it might be because it seems to make those spectators (and, by extension, all spectators...of which "I", after all, am I) look like buffoons. And it might be because it seems somewhat self-agrandizing for the performer.

I think it's much cooler, and gives me a greater respect for the performer, to see spectators that are so impressed they are dumbstuck. This is the type of reaction you're liable to see, for example, when you watch Derren Brown's tv shows.

By the way, if it's not a state secret, what country are you from? I'm curious to know which countries/cultures these days are the "camera shy" ones.
Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Hi lane99, I am from Malaysia....

'"Personally I'm turned off by the cliche of the eyes popping out, gawking and screaming spectator I've seen on tv shows coming out of the US. .."'.

don't you think it is that kind of response that caught the attention of the world population?.i personally believe that d.blaine's success lies in the way his spectactors responded......not so much in his tricks........

"A thoughtful person can see it as them being "so shocked they are speechless".

I will be al the more happy if people could see it that way... Smile

Dazz,
hidden cameras,.....i don't think so.....not in my place......my people r particular about the clarity of the scene.........
lane99
View Profile
Elite user
421 Posts

Profile of lane99
Hi, Dr. Maya.

Quote:
On 2005-07-13 03:21, Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan wrote:

don't you think it is that kind of response that caught the attention of the world population?.i personally believe that d.blaine's success lies in the way his spectactors responded......not so much in his tricks........

Actually, I very much agree with you. The spectator's responses DID make DB's show really entertaining (though the tricks were also great for the 99pct of the audience who, like me, had never seen them before...it's only NOW that I know most of them are old chestnuts...but, so what? He was innovative enough to re-popularize them). If I had been really thorough, I would have said "I don't like the show's that have come AFTER DB, which seem to go copy his style of getting close-ups of spectators going gaga". For me, I instantly think "oh, just another cheap copy of DB".

Anyway, please understand I'm just letting you know one man's opinion as to what does or doesn't appeal to me as a viewer. I really don't know what appeals to others (though, unless I'm mistaken, none of the magic specials on tv that have tried to emulate DB are not even remotely as popular as he was).
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
That's ok, just a thought, obviously you tell them after and get them to sign the usuals. I think it is that that got the attention of the world, ask someone about D.B. and they will more than likly comment about "that women that run away screaming"! daz