The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Wonka Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Magicjohnathon
View Profile
Regular user
Oakdale, CA.
122 Posts

Profile of Magicjohnathon
Willy Wonka is the worlds most famous candyman magician. Imagine the outlandish fun you can create by bringing this charactor to life for kids parties. The theming possibilities are almost endless. Think about it! What can you come up with!
"If at first you don't succeed! Than skydiving is definately not for you"!
Magically Johnathon Marshall
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Have you read the Roald Dahl books?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magicjohnathon
View Profile
Regular user
Oakdale, CA.
122 Posts

No, I have never read his books. Just watched the 1st. movie so far.
I do remember Willy Wonka being referred to as a magician, by one of the parents in the movie. But I imagine the books are great! More details please!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Reading is fundamental. Will write more when when the reader is ready. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
You could give a poor kid at the party a lifetime of chocolate.
Josef K
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Josef K
Maybe the classic Bank Night? Don't know if it works well for kids, but anyhow...

Show four bars of chocolate and have three spectators choose one each, you keep the last. It turns out that they get chocolate and you get a golden ticket to imagination and adventure. And since you now have the ticket, you invite the audience to join you on an adventurous tour of your imagination. It's Scrumdiddlyumptious!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Be very careful Willy Wonka is a trademarked character. If you advertise that you are doing "Willy Wonka" parties, or that you are portraying him, you may have a visit from the people who own him.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2970 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
That's what I was thinking Smile. Besides, I always found Willy Wonka WEALLY CWEEPY!!! Don't bring him to MY birthday party. Smile
dg
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of dg
I feel that Jonathan was hinting towards the fact that most peoples perception of WW is that he is a kind man who opens his doors to the lucky children, giving them unlimited candy.
The books are much darker, even in the film; basically he is trying to find a successor to run his empire. One by one the children are `eliminated'.

It’s been a while since I read it, but have more recently read other books to my children.
`The twits’ `Matilda’ `Esio trot’ and others. All quite dark, but all very good.
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
Just a few words...the seven deadly sins... happy hunting.

peace,
the demon
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yeah! The seven deadly sins:

Sleepy, Grumpy, Dopey, Sneezy, Happy, Bashful and Doc.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2970 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Happy CAN'T be deadly, Bill. Smile
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
665 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Ah yes, the spectre of the copyright chocolate police looms high.

But be creative... Willy Wonka becomes "Silly Wanky" and there follows an effect where the child assistant always fails to pick the bar with the "silver ticket" (A la three card monte/double flap and/or conjourer's choice, I'm sure you get the idea). However, the last laugh is on Silly Wanky when the child manages to get it right and wins a pile of candy. Loads of opportunity for bits of "business" with Silly trying to swap the bars round while the child isn't looking and hoots of protest from the audience. I'm sure this will create loads of laughs especially with lots of Silly Wanky gags and a stupid hat to match.

Should be good for six months till the next big kiddie blockbuster Smile
Magicjohnathon
View Profile
Regular user
Oakdale, CA.
122 Posts

No actually this suggestion came from another thread, people wanting Star Wars themed ideas. But while this can of worms is open, let me just ask this... "Why does anyones Willy Wonka character have to be weird like the book portrays? Make your own charater. For that matter why does his name have to be Willy? And why cant he be nice to children? Break the mold! Personally I don't believe in using movie themes or its characters period. My mentor Jeff McBride taught me to be a more magical version of myself, not a carbon copy of the latest movie character.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I was actually thinking about the possibilities of doing Willy Wonka magic as I watched the new movie staring Johnny Depp... Not really marketing myself as a Willy Wonka Show; however, as I saw Blackstone Jr. introduce a Alice Through the looking Glass witht the story of the window... how he aquired it from the motion picture company....yada yada... it's the very window that Dorothy would look out and dream about life over the rainbow in the motion picture the Wizard of Oz.... It really tied in the mystery and wonder behind this window he had and it helped draw in the magic...

Basically, it would be cool to recapture that "child-like wonder" and excitement of Charlie and produce candy and things only Wonka could dream up. You are very right.. there are endless possibilities. I have toyed with the idea of a Wonka Square Circle but battled with it being to close to Chance Wolfs creation or even a Lions and Cobras (Hippity Hop Rabbits) routine featuring Charlie, Wonka, and the Oompa Loompas...

Sweet Thoughts!
Bryan
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
The music from the original movies would be perfect I have always wanted to use gene wilders rendition of pure imagination for a routine but never thought of a full blown willy wonka magic show. You can buy the motion picture soundtrack for like 10 bucks I think on amazon.com
Who is Tattoo Joe?
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Trademarked and copyrighted character who has been defended in court several times, In fact, Mark Sweet PLAYED him on a promo tour after the FIRST movie rolled out.

The candy company is VERY protective of the franchise - almost as nasty as Paramount is with Star Trek (moreso) and the PBS people are with Barney.

Do this without permission and expect a visit from a guy in a suit with a restraining order and a subpoena. I've seen it happen.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
PBS does not own Barney. "The Lyons Group" owns him. He was nicked from a video that some friends of mine sent in. They neglected to cover all of the bases when it came to protecting the characters.

It really burned me, because I owned a chunk of it.

I figured our "CEO" would at least take the time to protect the material.

Nope.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

boomassacre
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of boomassacre
I would use the glass elevator as a starting point..... and maybe not use willy wonka's name.
I'm telling you the truth, I swear....
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
Ive always wanted to do a signed card to wonka bar...

Signed Card...Card Trick...Card Trick... then when they tear open the candy....they see the Golden Backed Card that has "Golden Ticket" printed on it... then they take it out...and it is there previously signed card...that WAS a regular back...

I know the method ...maybe I should just get off my a** and structure it...

Daniel Garcia
-Truth is made up of two things... FACT... and the ability to believe it-