The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Houdini Change (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
What is great about the book is we all read it a different way.
Although Glen is good pal I and a guy I respect I have a compleatly opposit view when it comes to Erdnase.
I think the book is about cheating and magic was there to sell the book.
Personally I have not found anything in the Artifice section that is not practical at the table. In fact I think it as been tested. As for things not in there he states he does not claim to know it all, and it was a hundred years ago bear in mind. Also there are many things that are not in there that he did know but for one reason or another where not described. For example full deck false shuffles.
Not regarded by Erdnase as pracitical for the table and rightly so in my view.
According to Vernon the Erdnase grip was common at the table in those days to hide any player seeing a mark on the front edges of the cards to prenvent someone taking advantage, that makes sense to me of the grip which I am not a fan of today because it is not common now at the table.
Anyway we will be arguing Erdnase till cows come home and still be pals.

Tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2005-06-28 11:54, tommy wrote:
What is great about the book is we all read it a different way.
Although Glen is good pal I and a guy I respect I have a compleatly opposit view when it comes to Erdnase.

Anyway we will be arguing Erdnase till cows come home and still be pals.

Tommy

I feel the same way Tommy about you... I totally agree... I think it is great that friends can have different views and opinions about books moves etc. I think it is exciting when everyone can share and explore the text of Erdnase and then see something new and different about it in the pages and then share it with a group - then we all learn.

I value you ideas about Erdnase and other magic things. And you have given a lot of great magic ideas that I value - to me and other members of the Café.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks Glen

I might be wrong on the full deck shuffle. I was thinking of the Strip out or Push through when I said it which Erdnase alludes to.

Tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-06-24 17:57, Paul Chosse wrote:
If you look at Vernon's history you will note that he is constantly referring to the late greats and his association with them. Vernon knew that if he wanted to be percieved as a great magician, it helped to have been associated with the other greats. Billing himself as the "Man Who Fooled Houdini" allowed Vernon to capitalize on all the publicity that Houdini garnered for hmself over the years. Houdini was, and still is, the most widely known magician of all time. In fact, his name is in the dictionary, has become a part of the language. Vernon could ride on the coattails of Houdini, use all the press that Houdini earned, and do it at virtually no cost. Being the "Man Who Fooled Hofzinser", for instance, would have gotten him nowhere, but telling the agents that he was the "Man Who Fooled Houdini" certainly had an impact! Pretty savvy marketing, I'd say...

Best, PSC

Paul, in your opinion, who was the better Magi? Who pushed the ball further for Magic?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Houdini toured the Midwest in the late 1800s, and may have shown the color change move to W E. Sanders. He was a Montana native and is a leading Erdnase candidate.