The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Lights...camera...action! :: Shooting a street magic show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
EsKlibur
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of EsKlibur
Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing well!
For those who don't know me (that is basically everyone Smile, I'd call myself an advanced beginner in card magic.

I have enough experience in street magic to amaze most audiences and that's great.

To the point, I have been asked by my university TV to do a weekly street magic show for them. One or a few tricks will be filmed in front of a real audience each week, with one or two camera guys following me across town.

I was wondering if any of you have advice to give, as of what kinds of tricks that shouldn't be performed on TV, and maybe how to get a great impact through TV.

I'm obviously new to TV so I'm unsure about the result at this stage Smile

I'm thinking of performing the following :
Color Monte
My handling of Henry Christ's Aces
A Card Divination through a smooth peek (I think Smile )
A chosen card found by the spectator after I try to make him loose tack of the card (he won't actually know where it is but still finds it)
Twisting the Aces
A classic Biddle steal move routine
Do as I do (Vernon, not sure about title)

Well if any of you want to let me know what you think, I'd appreciate it. Smile

Thanks,

Nick
"Poetry is the Magic of Lies,
Magic is the Poetry of Lies" - Jean Cocteau
BlakeBlair
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny So. California
111 Posts

Profile of BlakeBlair
What University are you currently located at?

Good Luck BB
FuFanu.. Two Cards Torn & Restored...

Are You Ready ?! Its here !!
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
If It's going to be a weekly special, and you are going to do 1-3 effects, spread your killer stuff out.

Mix in some of your more comfortable material in with one killer routine each week.

Time is very compressed on TV, so stay away from effects that require a 5 minute explanation. If you want it to look it's best, storyboard each effect out ahead of time. This will save you a bunch of time in production. It will also make life easier for the camera people if you already have the shots for each effect plotted out.

Take a lesson from Mr. Blaine and remember who you are performing for. Simple and direct is the best way to go for video, especially in a "street" setting.

I'm not the world's authority, but I do videography in addition to magic.

If you have any specific question or want some resources, feel free to email me at: jamesanthony@jvlnet.com. Hope this all helps you, and good luck!
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
EsKlibur
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of EsKlibur
BlakeBlair: I'm at UEA, Norwich.

The levitator: Thanks for the advice. I did some table strolling in the union bar with a friend holding a dv-camera. I have about 50 minutes of performance.

I indeed intend to restrict it to 3 effects or so each week. I don't really have a storyboard, but I'll work on this idea for the next time, as I feel the presentation could be greatly improved if the cameraman knew a bit more about the trick timing.

Thanks again for your time.
Smile
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Yah, don't repeat effects either. Also, make sure you edit in the best reactions and cut out the long boring parts.

Try to make the TV show more magical then it would be in real life.

Also, try to edit out the "method" parts the could possible give away the method.

I hope you make a killer magic show.
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
You should also have it agreed upon in writing that you will be available for editing as well...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
EsKlibur
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of EsKlibur
Oh, well the first episode is ready for airing now, so I'll be looking forward to do so.

RileyG: I do have the chance to have a 100% right to choose what I want on the screen as this is just a student TV.

Pyro: I did not edit my routines but just chose the ones where the rewind button couldn't do any harm to the secret (or very little).

I also have the best reactions from spectators chained in the 'trailer' and funny bits that occured at the end.

Anyway as a primary experienced I really enjoyed it and will be looking forward to do it again (as well as see people's reaction on comment after It's aired on campus!).

Thanks everyone for your help and comments. Smile
MxJoKeR
View Profile
Regular user
Nowhere, Oklahoma
173 Posts

Profile of MxJoKeR
I would try to work in a little variety in your act, not just cards. That would seem to lose people over the weeks. I would steer clear of anything performed a lot by Blaine etc. as they might have learned what to look for and make your tricks no fun. Plus, you don't want to try and match skill with anyone pro.
Do or Do-Not, There is no try--Yoda
illusionmaster
View Profile
New user
Boulder, Colorado
31 Posts

Profile of illusionmaster
I agree, stay away from the Blaine stuff and Criss Angel stuff as well!

Jes
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Yes ... do your own bits, the parts of your act that have your own, special moves and patter. Even your own effects if you have some. Everyone has a couple they came up with on their own.

May I suggest the Loomis/Riser micro chop cup, and vanishing sequence.

It is worthy of the time spent.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
I realize that, as a student, the time you can devote to this project is limited. It seems that you are, in effect, talent, director and producer.

I would like to suggest that you do a little reading about shooting video (or film, the techniques are similar) for editing. Learn about establishing shots, close-ups, intercuts and so forth. It will help you to provide footage that can be edited for maximum effect.

You might also want to consider the advantages of two cameras— one providing mostly full shots, one providing close ups and reaction shots.

It isn't rocket science, most of what you absolutely need to know is in print and it does make a big difference.

I'll be happy to help if you have any specific questions.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Thanks to King Star Dog for the plug. Just a word to the wise. We are raising the prices on the Loomis Riser Micro Chop Cups on January 1st. But will honor the current prices in the mean time.

We also have some new accessories and cup "flavors" which will be introduced during the new year.

To all of you that have purchased the Micro Chops... thank you so much. Your purchases and kind comments have exceeded all of our expectations.
Dennis Loomis
http://www.mindspring.com/~deloomis/dai.html
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Ben Cummings
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Ben Cummings
Just a thought— when doing big shows (300 people or more), I always get myself filmed, even if it's "guerrilla video" from a hand held device.

By judiciously editing down all my archive videos, I'm been able to put together a pretty killer 'show' that could be played as is on television—well, okay, it's not THAT good—but the best use is for a performance demo. Believe me, your greatest benefit from your shows will be the killer demo you'll be able to create which will make booking PAYING shows quite easy (or easier).
Author of "Conversations With Mind Readers"

Over 40 hours of interviews with thirty-two Top Mentalists & Mind Readers.

For more info email me at bencummings1@yahoo.com and I will email you a detailed Prospectus.
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
Buy some nice cross trainers and get ready to chase them down the street saying, "wanna see a trick?" and you have half your act. Then round up a few local winos to do a rave review of your act. Then finally scrap all of this advice and go out and have fun.

Remember less is more and long build ups are boring to watch ... keep your magic "snappy".

After that, just have fun. If you really enjoy what you are doing it will show on tape.

...but then again I may be full of it.
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
mrbungle
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of mrbungle
Go through angles a little bit with your cameraman. Some tricks are fine filmed over your shoulder and some are better over the spectators shoulder. Find a cameraman who does magic too.
Grandia Enterprises inc. 1974
SOHartist
View Profile
Loyal user
Ft. Myers, Florida
211 Posts

Profile of SOHartist
You should also try an ambitous card routine. just a thought. Smile
BlakeBlair
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny So. California
111 Posts

Profile of BlakeBlair
So how was your show?! By now it must have aired. Did you do any other shows? Interested in how your college took it...

Keep it up!

bb Smile
FuFanu.. Two Cards Torn & Restored...

Are You Ready ?! Its here !!