The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring Float - loops (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Hi Guys,

Am currently experimenting with using the loops for floating a ring, as stated in Yigal Mesika's animated miracles. I like the idea if always being ready, yet is there an equally practical, yet more visual method, where the hands are spread further? (i hate having thread draped all over me!)

Many thanks,

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Simon,

Mesika's method with loops is the exact version that I use professionally (with my own presentation). Personally, I think it would be a mistake to spread your hands too far because then the object would float longer than it should in my view. A short float is most effective because a longer one leads laymen to one of two logical conclusions - - magnets or thread. When performing the floating ring with loops, I don't even move my hands as far as the loop will allow. I like to leave the audience wondering if they actually saw what they think they saw.

Larry

P.S. - You spelled your last name wrong. Isn't there supposed to be a "d" between the "i" and "s?" Smile
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2006 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I never thought of floating a ring with loops until this post, I will have to try it.
RealDeal JU
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
375 Posts

Profile of RealDeal JU
If you have loops you deffinatly need to check out Animated Miracles as mentioned above. Very good effects in there.

Jim
"Challenge yourself to come up with your own

material, rather than buying into the idea that

you have to do the same thing that everyone

else is doing to be a good magician."
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Are these loops by Mesika similar to the one in McBride's Kundalini rising?
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
No, they're much thinner - almost totally invisible.

Larry, I see your point. I never feel comfortable doing a full float - as you say, 90% of people suspect trickery. This is why I prefer animations- the fork movement is very eerie, in animated miracles, and the haunted deck is a firm favourite.

Larry, highly amusing!!! That said, you wouldn't believe how many times people spell my name wrong!

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Simon,

I agree that animations can be very powerful. Haunted Deck with loops is a killer.

Re. your name being misspelled, it could be worse. Sometimes people get my name totally confused and call me David, to which I respond that my name is Larry Davidson, not David Larryson.

David, I mean Larry
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Sorry to hear that David!!

It gets worse - my sister's names are Chloe Jane (yes, CJD), thank God my parents didn't make my middle name Tom (or yes, would be STD).

Sometimes I think my parents hate us.... probably why I took to magic!! Joking.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
SenseiStrange
View Profile
Veteran user
The Dead God's Dreams
345 Posts

Profile of SenseiStrange
Using loops to float a ring? Interesting. Out of curiosity does this destroy the loop after a few goes?
Sgroge
View Profile
New user
N Shore Boston MA
55 Posts

Profile of Sgroge
If you are interested in a great version of a borrowed floating ring check out Flying Ring at ChadSanborn.com
The routine contains many good ideas on what you are after.

Best

Steve
Trying to die young as late as possible!
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Thanks Steve - it sounds good.

However, can this be done strolling? Or do you need an elaborate hook up?

Thanks,

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com