The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Games that increase skills! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
There are a couple of games that my magician acquaintances and I play occasionally to help hone our skills (when I encounter someone who knows the same things I do).

These are both my own creations, though I sure other people somewhere, sometime, have done similar things.

The first is Faro racing. Start from a fan with the cards in new deck order. At go, you close the fan, race through eight perfect faros, and end at another fan. If the cards at the end are out of order, you're disqualified.

The seconds is mus*** p*** marbles. You spread some coins on the ground and try to mus*** p*** another coin so that it hits one of the ones on the ground (or table). There is no distance limit, but the hand has to be palm up, or angled sideways (no holding the coin over the other and simply dropping it) when you mus*** p***.
If the coin on the floor is hit by a bounce or rebound, it doesn't count. If you hit the coin, you keep that coin. Whoever has the most at the end wins. (I don't play for keepsies, but I guess you could).

Do any of you have games you play with other magicians that are fun and hone skills at the same time?
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
131 Posts

Profile of Edith
My sister and I were throwing cards at each other for hours once like with this waterfall thingy (I don't know the English word for that one). It was quite fun...

Edith
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2005-06-04 15:02, JJDrew wrote:

The first is Faro racing. Start from a fan with the cards in new deck order. At go, you close the fan, race through eight perfect faros, and end at another fan. If the cards at the end are out of order, you're disqualified.

You guys need to get out more often! Come to think of it, I should get out more often myself! Smile
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
131 Posts

Profile of Edith
I already told this several people so here is just a quote. It was actually last weekend on easter monday. WE all were having so much fun with this:

Quote:
Yesterday we were at a restaurant with our family and my sister and I were already done and we were getting bored. So I started to practise the double lift with Bierdeckels but only taking one Bierdeckel, so that nobody was catching on on what I was doing. Soon my sister was joining me and we kept just dealing oval Bierdeckels on the table.
My oncle was sitting opposite of us and he started to make a really funny face, because we both took it very seriously and told them very convincingly that it had some sense, because it really had some to us. After a while my Dad tried to join the fun, but since he didn't know why we were doing that, he thought it was complete nonsense and so he was just imitating us.
In the end my sister and I were laughing really hard at all the reactions we got and everybody was finally finished with their meal.
And my double lift has also improved from that.

It wasn't quite a game but still fun to do, we were thinking about pretending to play poker with Bierdeckels in a restaurant with serious money in the middle...

Edith
Posted: Apr 22, 2006 10:51am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This will be a fun game to be played with skilled magicians.

In German it is called "schummeln" or any other equivalent of the word cheating.
Even when I was in 3rd grade it was popular among the students.

The basic idea is in this game that one has to cheat in order to win. There is no way around it.

All the cards get dealt equally to each person playing (It doesn't matter how many people play, but at least three). The goal of each player is to get rid of his cards. The first person without cards wins.

To get rid of cards people place a card facedown in the middle, one person after another. One card per person clockwise or counterclockwise depending on where you live. The cards are to be placed in the middle in their natural order Ace, two, three, four.... the suits don't matter.

All players are supposed to play fair and put the right card down and only one card. But that doesn't always work because one can't have all the cards they need to play fair. So they have to cheat. (They also can put down several cards at once or whatever people might come up with)

If the next person thinks the one before him/her cheated he/she can lift up the last card laying down. If the card is the one that is supposed to be there the person that didn't believe it was right has to take all the cards and start again with an ace. If the card was the wrong one or there were too many cards laid down the person that cheated has to take the pile in the middle and restart.

Have fun cheating, guys!

Edith