The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rectangles and pentagons and squares, oh my! :: Origami magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RWhit
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of RWhit
Bang Gone-- I think that was the name of a silk vanish that supreme sold at one time.
It was a folded piece of paper that you could get to snap as the silk vanished ...it was put inside.
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
Mike Close developed the Unreality Machine which is very good, but does not reset easily. He called it a worker in progress. His routine requires a Pea Can and a small amount of water. I have tried to rework it so you don't need the water.

Money Menagerie the DVD used my models, traditional folds, and some from the illustrator of my book, David Petty. His Beating Heart is really good. Michael Mode has the Origami Rose and for sheer simplicity and effect, it is hard to beat. I am working on an origami production box you can assemble right in front of your audience.

The Imagination Tester and the Frog Prince by Close are awesome. I did a library show and the teens left shaking their heads.

Of course Gene Anderson's outstanding T & R Newspaper uses origami principles as does J C Wagner's T & R Card. It is a killer effect as well.
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Frog prince is probably one of the greatest magic tricks ever. It has everything from amazing magic to amazing story to amazing comedy to amazing giveaway. The only thing it doesn't have is commas.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5480 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Here's another vote for the Michael Close routine's. Frog Prince, The Ooh-Ah Bird, Unreality Machine (I finally had a reason to dust off my pea can) and Imagination Tester are all superb. The Workers ebook is great, but to see Michael perform them on the DVDs is well worth the additional investment (since you'll be saving money on the ebook Smile). Here's a plug, as well, for Lefty's Money Menagerie DVDs, both of which log a lot of time in my DVD player (Thanks Mr. Dare!!).
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
Thanks for your kind words Magiguy. It was a series of very fortunate events that brought about the DVD. In 1993 I sent two of my models to Mr. David Petty of the British Origami Society. He liked them and offered to illustrate (for no charge!) a book of my models plus four of his own. I sent a sample manuscript of my work to H & R Magic. Richard and Charlie graciously accepted the manuscript and published the book. Dennis Loomis contacted me out of the blue and I flew to CA and we produced the DVD (check out his website: http://www.loomismagic.com for the latest in magic and origami). I'm grateful to all who helped me and most of all to Christ who gave me new life. My problem is learning to obey Him!
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Thanks, Sterling for your kind words. Your Origami talent was, of course, the most important element in producing the Money Menagerie DVDs. I was thrilled that you agreed to work with Loomis Magic. And, let's not forget Joe Oliverio and his Video Shooting and editing talents. He worked so hard to make everything crystal clear to the viewers. When he and I were not pleased with a couple of little things, you were good enough to hop on a plane and fly back to California again to redo them. You're a Prince.

I also want to second the comments about Mike Close's Frog Prince Routine. Quite possibly the best thing he's done, and that saying a lot give all of the great magic he's created. If you do close up for family audiences you just have to learn this.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Jess Cone
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Jess Cone
I'm a bit late to this post, but origami has been a life-long interest of mine and it's applications to magic. Many years ago at one of the early Magic in the Rockies Conventions in Estes Park,Co. I saw Martin Lewis perform a great magic piece using an origami water bomb fold and a spectators marked quarter. I found it published in his wonderful book, Martin's Miracles under the title of Magigami, pg.145. I've been using it for years and plays much larger to an audience than it's small size. Also, the magic happens in their hands and is very memorable to an audience. Check it out. Jess Cone
Shawn Truitt
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX USA
3 Posts

Profile of Shawn Truitt
I'd be interested in interacting with magicians that are also involved with paper-folding. Just a tidbit of history, my Mom (Patricia Troy Truitt) was a founding member of The Origami Center of America now known as OrigamiUSA. Growing up I was attending and teaching at the origami conventions in NY and the UK while also going to magic conventions such as Tannen's, Magic Symposiums and Magician Alliance of Easter States. I'd be open to discussion about magic, origami and relationships between them. Please contact me about topic of discussion and see where this open forum develops. Lates, Shawn Truitt
drolleric
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of drolleric
There a french DVD called ORIMAGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dtr_wlh-Lg

2 hours of origami magic

great tricks indeed
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Does anyone know who Jonathanmc is? He said he would post the results of his survey about magic effects that use origami? His Café profile is no longer active.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Hannibal Truth from a Liar as a lovely story with an elf boot origami
VG
bhavz95
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of bhavz95
I remember seeing one with a dinner table napkin that you could toss and it would fold itself into an origami bird