The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Touch Up Those Old Props (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Billy Diamond
View Profile
New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
24 Posts

Profile of Billy Diamond
Q: Even though my illusions are cased for traveling they still have normal wear and tear. What do you do for minor scratches and chips in your illusions?

A: We always carry a variety of paint markers in our show toolbox. Also, model paint works well too as it comes in a variety of colors. However, the paint markers are much more convenient because it is paint and you use it just like a marker. These are available in most hobby and craft stores. Don't forget...always carry a Black Sharpy Marker. It is great for little touch ups on black areas.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5937 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
For minor scratches in wood you can take the meat of a walnut and rub it on the scatch. The oil will change the color of the wood to a natural finished look.

I have also had some short term luck with felt pens for scratches in stained woods. The ink will fade in time however.

Tom Cutts
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Nice little trick Tom!

Thanks!

Steve
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
If it's a rush job nail polish is small(package wise), and dries hard and quick.
If you are just cleaning up the finishes at home and have the time, I'd say repaint.
Just remember to lightly sand any finished surface(rough up the smooth texture) before you apply the new paint. This will give the new paint something to hold onto, and will last better.
Steve
zzz