The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Stiff Rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2005-09-17 04:13, jskalon wrote:
Has anyone ever taken the stiff rope apart to repair it? Mine broke. Fortunately the break is at the end and I'm still able to use it. Of course for what a new one costs, it's probably not worth the hassle. Great trick. I get a lot of mileage out of it.

Call me cheap, mine had become torn in several spots so I took white medical tape and repaired it. One time at a kids show a kid yelled out "look the rope has tape on it." All I said was "Yup." I get use to my props which have performed for me well at every kids show. I pull the coiled rope out of my square circle and let it do its thing to music. I also pull the appearing canes out along with the 5 ft pole.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I use a stiff rope with solder in combination with a dancing hank in my Poltergeist routine. I use a regular rope to try to trap the hank/poltergeist, but it slips through the knot every time. Then I switch to the stiff rope (easy to do with a partner like the dancing hank) and pretend to make a quick loop in the stiff end (it's actually already there). Now I attach the hank to the stiff rope and pretend to struggle with it. The dancing hank gimmick can now be broken and drawn off stage and I can continue making the hank wiggle and act alive on the end of my rope as it appears to fight and struggle against the "leash." The hank "leads" me out into the audience where I end the act as described in my routine (The Wizards' Journal #6 - Poltergeist).
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Great bit for a puppet. I have been planning on using mine with my vent routine for a while.

Marc,

Which issue of Magic Magazine did David Kaye publish that routine?

Thanks.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Stuart Coyle
View Profile
New user
Australia
62 Posts

Profile of Stuart Coyle
I do the stiff rope thing as part of a Gypsyesque routine with my partner. She claims extraordinary hypnotic powers too dangerous to use on people and proceeds to demonstrate these on a rope that I hold. Her crazy hypnosis routine generally causes me to lose it and shake with laughter whilst trying to hold the rope still.