The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Bob Fitch- The Topit Workshop... (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Well guys, let me be one of the first, if not the very first, to give you my impression re *The Topit Workshop*.

I'll not give you a review of the contents-others might do so- nor all the finer points re the handling of the Topit disclosed in the *workshop*, but I'll give you my general impression re weather you should buy it or not, weather it is *good* or not..

Let me answer my own question right away..

It IS good and it is worth to study

IF you want to learn to handle this devise, or even if you have used it for a long time (as I have), these set of 3 DVDs give you lots of inspiration and 'new' thoughts re how to adapt it's use to your own style/way of handling, as well as there are 'many' routines new to you (and me), where you can positively use the Topit as an advantage to your work.

Some of the routines Bob Fitch does explain and demomnstrate, are worth the price of the entire DVD set alone.

You have to be prepared though -if you are a newcomer to the Topit- to invest a little time and handling practise, but weather you are a pro or just a lover of the 'finer' points of magic, you'll gain from studying Bob Fitch's work.

He not only has explored new methods of handling it, but the very first DVD, the intro to the Topit does show most of the currently available styles and types of the Topit, which includes pattern of well known names.

Bob Fitch does cover them all -all those worth to use-, including a very clever version of the *Tie,rather shirt*- Topit that breaks new ground for those not wearing a jacket.
He explored it much further then anything re this particular type/style of Topit I've seen or earlier read about, and that even if I have used a simple/impromptu form of *shirt-Topit*, but Bob Fitch's 'improvments' makes it fail-safe and much more practical.
He also shows how to incorporate a vest-Topit.

I wondered re a single thing when watching the DVDs in the first place, and that was something I always practised and had in mind and which -at the start of the DVDS never was mentioned- and that is that it is MUCH more secure and failsafe to wear the TOPIT, (rather the Topit-opening) as low as possible.

Bob starts up with showing it at waste/belt high, BUT it didn't take long to proceed watching the DVD-set, before he mentioned the fact, that it is an advantage to wear the opening LOW -which is something I found out way back in the early 1970's, but nobody ever mentioned it, they always, incl. Jay Scott Berry prefered to have the opening at belt-level hights- and he also explained the how to still make it easily accessable from the jackets sidepocket, without having the whole arm inside that jacketpocket..

When later watching Bob Fitch, *HOW' he did wear his 'own' Topit, it also showed up, that he did do and use, what he almost as a *BTW*-side remark mentioned, he DID wear it low..and that's the best way to do... Smile

Well, what can I say more then rather Get these DVDs and spend the time necessary to perfect its use..

Oh, one more thing on a personal level..
I noticed quite a couple of times Bob did refer to one of my *hero*'s in magic, and he even did a version of that guys handling of the *toss-vanish*, as well as he dedicated a few routines to the memory of that outstanding performer..
Made my day and the recognition of that performers work is well deserved..

Well done Bob Fitch..loved to se you working..and some of the by play stuff was just great, as the vanish of the pair of glasses and reappearance behind the 'neck'..that's star-quality stuff re entertainment..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
green
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of green
Nice work. I have ordered mine.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1441 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Thank goodness SOMEBODY posted a review.
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
316 Posts

Profile of A.J.
These are the DVDs that I have been waiting for for many years. Bob Fitch's work with the topit is legendary...and deservedly so. Can't wait to sink my teeth into these videos and get new insights and new inspiration.

A.J.
vinkelhaken
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
179 Posts

Profile of vinkelhaken
Well,

After watching the Fitch DVD:s I must say that they contain a very broad field of inspirational material. However, for the handling, I, personally, would recommend Ammar's topit tapes, which are now available on DVD. I love Ammar's natural handling most of the time. Since the material do not overlap in many regards, you should be best of having both, and Cloutier's tape also for that matter.

If forced to choose among them, I would go for Ammar, due to the handling, even though Fitch has more applications and routines.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Vinkelhaken, I agree re your thoughts to a certain point.

One though has to keep in mind, Bob Fitches ways of 'ditching' using the Topit are very personalized, and this especially goes for his ways of placing articles more or less directly in the Topit.

Note however, that his work re this is aimed at 'normal' ppl and not magicians and also note the misdirection he does use in most cases does cover the action well.

I'm pretty sure, most of your remarks re his 'handling' are aimed at the above mentioned *direct* ditches.

The highlights however one should keep in mind, like his very deceptive deckswitch used in sevral routines, where the spec does hand him a cased deck behind his back, as well as a lot of other applications he so masterly does apply.

When I mention, I agreed to your thoughts to a certain point/degree, I also mean, that one has to study EVERYTHING available re the Topit and especially Michael Ammars work.

BTW, there was one thing Bob Fitch did mention wrongly -out of his memory- and that was the *tilt* the Ammar Topit has..the tilt is towards the front and not the back, as Bob accidentally mentioned, and stuff is easier to retrieve via the coatpocket when the tilt is towards the front..just a mishappening to Bob Fitch's memory.. Smile, which though *they* should have discovered before releasing the DVD and edited out/corrected..

In any case, still to point out the highlights:

A very good thing f.ex. was his unexpected vanish of a filled glass when he was drinking from it and turned his back for a split second..it took me in the first time I saw it done!

Actually I expected -as the 'frame' of the picture did allow this- he simply had placed the glass on a barstol behind him, that wasn't in the frame ...how wrong I was..he adapted a principle I never so far have seen anybody use and adapt, a feature of the Ammar-design..and his application re this glassvanish really is an outstanding piece in the contex he did use it..

There are many more highlights in the Fitch workshop, so the advice still is to get it, but of course- one also should study at least the Ammar stuff.

TBH, I always loved Pat Pages work, but Ammar somehow has outdone most of the handling PP does use, OTOH, a few of Pat Pages handlings still today are also worth to note and use, so also the Page stuff should be studied..

Saying all this, I welcome Bob Fitchs workshop to the already existing material re the Topit, Bob does cover and follow up and even add quite a couple of very interesting things which any user of the Topit should have knowledge of and adapt to his own style..

There is stuff on these DVDs that reflects some outstanding and very decptive handlings of the Topit, but there is also stuff some magicians might not favour too much -here I think especialy re his 'placing' articles in the Topit instead of letting them roll of the hand or using a 'throw'-, but I suppose they forget that these aplications in praxis are covered by good applied misdirection..magicians looking for the work might spot it, but when used during a normal performance before layaudience,s I doubt anything Bob does normally would go wrong and get 'catched'.. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I've finished watching two out of the three DVD's and I'd like to report that I am very pleased with this wonderful project that Fitch and Kohler put together.

I would have gladly paid the price of the set simply for the "basketball" coin vanish alone. This set is very thorough and the teaching is first rate. I've been using a topit for years, but Fitch's lifetime of experience will definitely allow me to take my magic to a higher level.
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
I ordered my set at Hank Lee's and my order has been queued for more than a week. Anyone have a similar problem ?

Daniel
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
Hank Lee's service is slow. I experienced that before and that time it took me almost a month to receive my thing.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Thank you all for your very useful reveiws and comments. My admiration for Mr. Fitch just continues to grow.

-Ed
Keep Your head up, your heart open and your magic alive.
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Hi to all

I've now received the DVDs and I am through watching the first two. It confirms what I thought : very strong material on the topit from a true artist.

Thank you Mr. Fitch
Daniel
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
I don't use a topit yet, I have one question. Can you use a topit while you are seated instead of lapping? Just wondering if that is possible.

Thanks
Big Jeff
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Jeff, Bob teaches you how to use the topit while seated, so the answer is yes.
Click to visit:
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2005-05-04 05:49, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
Oh, one more thing on a personal level..
I noticed quite a couple of times Bob did refer to one of my *hero*'s in magic, and he even did a version of that guys handling of the *toss-vanish*, as well as he dedicated a few routines to the memory of that outstanding performer..
Made my day and the recognition of that performers work is well deserved..

Well done Bob Fitch..loved to se you working..and some of the by play stuff was just great, as the vanish of the pair of glasses and reappearance behind the 'neck'..that's star-quality stuff re entertainment..

I also took particular pleasure in his homage to Goshman. I think that only those of us who saw Goshman live in the 1960's can really appreciate the qualities he brought to close-up performance that no one else has been able to live up to. He was truly inimitable.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Robert Fitch
View Profile
New user
Leonia, NJ
38 Posts

Profile of Robert Fitch
I had thought it best to stay out of these conversations...but I did want to thank you all for your positive comments re my DVD's. My wish of course is not for the compliments, though that's pleasurable; and even when its critical, that it sparks some new and revitalized thinking about this great prop; but that you find some use for the topit personal to you; that it solves some problem you didn't have the solution to before; and that perhaps it changes your mind in some way about how you create your magic.
Bernard Sim, from Singapore's Magic Circle, reviewed it thusly, "If you never intend to use the topit...get this DVD, as it may change your mind."

PS...I purposely tried not to repeat any material from Ammar or Cloutier's tapes & DVD's. And yes, by all means, study them all...including Salvano's from France. I did!
Cheers...Imagination can make magicians of us all.
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
I just wanted to add my two cents. I am new to using a topit, and got Fabric Manipulations to install a modified version of their topit for me. (I did a lot of research and wanted to combine a few versions.) Right when it got sent to me these Topit DVDs came out, so I got them to learn the topit. (I'll probably follow up with Ammar, but this looked like a great starting point.)

I had a few ways I wanted to use the topit, so I was looking for how to use it more than I was looking for routines. The first DVD gave me exactly that. However, there is a "color changing ball" routine that I may or may not work on, but some of the techniques used really opened my eyes to some new possibilities.

The second DVD made me realize you could use the topit for far more things than what I'd planned to use it for. The DVD says that it's teaching a deck switch so I'm not giving anything away when I say that he really does teach a few VERY good deck switches using a topit. In general, it just made me realize how versatile the topit could be if I kept my mind open to doing more than tossing in a coin.

The third DVD is mostly routines, and they are pretty good. I particularly liked the first part of "Virtual Magic", and I've been practicing that a lot lately although not quite as he performs it (gotta personalize everything!) But it's a beautiful routine.

So I'm working away on that and after I think I'm confident with it I will try to apply his techniques to my own routines...I was very pleased with these DVDs.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
The DVDs are good. My knowledge of topits before watching these DVDs (last week) was

"A topit is a place to throw things and if you wave your arms around very fast, the audience won't notice you do it"

A week later and I have a list of ways I can use the topit to make my professional performance. I'm even going to go out a buy a video camera JUST so I can watch my topiting properly!

There really is something for everyone. Coins, cards, stage, comedy everting!
zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
Quote:

Bob Fitch does cover them all -all those worth to use-, including a very clever version of the *Tie,rather shirt*- Topit that breaks new ground for those not wearing a jacket.
He explored it much further then anything re this particular type/style of Topit I've seen or earlier read about, and that even if I have used a simple/impromptu form of *shirt-Topit*, but Bob Fitch's 'improvments' makes it fail-safe and much more practical.

Hi:

With reference to the above, does that mean even if a person is only wearing a button up long sleeve shirt, a topit can still be installed and without the audience knowing that there is something "extra"?

Would appreciate feedback from anyone who is in the know.
Thank you
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1790 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Yes there are ways to make it happen
Jorib
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Jorib
Quote:
On 2012-03-19 12:24, zhuanan wrote:
Quote:

Hi:

With reference to the above, does that mean even if a person is only wearing a button up long sleeve shirt, a topit can still be installed and without the audience knowing that there is something "extra"?

Would appreciate feedback from anyone who is in the know.
Thank you

What are the differences (without going into exposition) between Fitch "no jacket" topit and the more modern TKO device?