The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Tell me what you think, or, read me the riot act. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
My apologizes if I do not credit or incorrectly credit here. Also if I am stepping on someone else’s shoes just drop me a line. I would like to thank Jonathan Townsend, Chris Kenner and Troy Hosser for all they’ve done. You guys make me look good.

Routine: 3 Fly One from Total Destruction with some changes in handling and nuances to suit my style. We all have our favorites, this is mine. Three and only three coins and two completely and obvious bare hands.

Coins: Walking Liberty’s and a Jamie Schoolcraft Swadling. If you are doing any type of flipper routines and you do not own a Schoolcraft flipper, SHAME ON YOU! Words cannot express what this one little coin does to this routine, it takes it to a entirely different level.

No need to post sell here folks (post selling is such a drag and should be avoided at all cost), not only do I stick all three and ONLY three coins 6” from their noses at the beginning but if they ask to see “one” I sometimes will purposely put the work of art right in there hot little hands.

Do not mistake this as a sign it can hold up to steely eyed scrutiny because it can‘t, but, it has and does pass casual examination with the greatest of ease. In the times that I’ve played that game of cat and mouse (or inside joke if you may) it has never been detected. As a side note I do not make a habit of “proving” my magic and allow specs to handle anything, however, this is one of those routines were a subtlety at the beginning hits like a hammer in the end.

The beautiful part of it all is the incognito coin never comes into scrutiny anyways, because, at the start you are only “showing them off”, they have no idea what’s about to unfold (pun intended). Word to the wise if you get one of these beauties make sure your other coins have different dates on them because you WILL lose it.

Routine One: While pulling them from the coin purse and putting them in my hands and turning them over and over I say… “Check these out, I acquired them a while back. There 3 walking liberty half’s, I was showing them to a guy the other day, I was telling him that’s the coin from the 40’s with the walking liberty on one side and lovebirds on the other.” “He said that’s not a lovebird that’s a bald eagle.”

(start display) “I said no… it’s a lovebird, except instead of real ones their the magical kind, let me show you.” (start vanish / reappearance sequence) “if I give them a shake like this… one fly’s off like that, over to the other hand. Did you see it fly over there?” I say that last line while simultaneously tossing the one liberty into my left hand.

(start display 2) “He said DUDE, COOL, do that again”. “I said I thought you’d never ask.” “All it takes is for one lovebird to see another and… (2nd vanish / reappearance sequence) that time you could actually hear the moment the other lovebird arrived.”

(start final display) “too make a long story short I now had two lovebirds in my left hand and the third and final one in my right, I told him watch (vanish / reappearance sequence using the Geoff Latta one handed vanish) as it fly’s magically though the air to join the other two.”

Transferring the coins from my left hand to my right hand I immediately lay my left hand palm up fingers spread semi-wide. Now my favorite part of the routine, go from display to just opening your right hand palm up. They are now staring at three and ONLY three coins. While transferring from my right hand to my left I say doing my best Lawrence Welk impersonation “a little Lawrence Welk for you… A1 and A2 and A3 lovebirds back together again.”

I clink (if I have not lost it) one liberty on top of the other then pick up the two with the other and as I’m placing them back in the purse I make sure they get a good look at all three together, edge view and hands empty.

Routine Two: While pulling them from the coin purse and putting them in my hands and turning them over and over I say… “I have 3 old walking liberty coins here from the 40‘s. I haven’t practiced this one very much but if you don’t mind I’d like to give it a whirl.”

(start display) “watch, as I make all three of these coins disappear completely all at once!” (start vanish/reappearance sequence) “all I have to do is give them a shake like this and… oops. That’s not right, (looking at the coins as an excuse to get the one over where it needs to be then tossing it into my left hand) Not sure how that happened.”

(start display 2) “Tell you what, give me another chance, 2 out of 3, 2 out of 3. Maybe if I say the magic word, abracadabra.” (2nd vanish / reappearance sequence) “Darn it! that’s not the magic word. The magic word is please.”

(start final display) O.K. O.K. let’s see if I can at least make the final one disappear (vanish / reappearance sequence using the Geoff Latta one handed vanish) (Vanish) “Tada!” (reappearance) “Not again!” (transferring from left to right) “Well it worked great at the magic shop (opening right hand to display only 3 coins) and that’s right were it’s going back too.” Empty hands all together edge view again while placing them back in the purse.

Routine Three: While pulling them from the coin purse and putting them in my hands and turning them over and over I say… “I was showing these to a guy the other day, I was telling him how these are 3 walking liberty coins from the 40s , tails side it’s 3 eagles, heads side it’s the 3 stooges. Larry, Curly and Moe.

(start display) And just like the real 3 stooges their coin counterparts have some crazy antics of their own.” (start vanish / reappearance sequence) “I told him Moe’s the leader, watch as he disappears from this hand and winds up in this one. Did you see Moe go?” I say that last line while simultaneously tossing the one liberty into my left hand.

(start display 2) “He said no, I did not see Moe go. I told him not to worry, Larry not to be outdone spots Moe then (2nd vanish / reappearance sequence) disappears and reappears like that. That time you could actually hear the moment Larry arrived.”

(start final display) “Now I had Moe and Larry here and Curly over there I told him watch as curly flies invisibly through the air to meet up with Moe and Larry.” Transferring the coins from my left hand to my right hand I immediately lay my left hand palm up fingers spread semi-wide. Now I open up my right hand and say doing my best Lawrence Welk impersonation “a little Lawrence Welk for you… A1 and A2 and A3 stooges back together again.

I clink (if I have not lost it) one liberty on top of the other then pick up the two with the other and as I’m placing them back in the purse I make sure they get a good look at all three together, edge view and hands empty.

Because I don’t tip what I am about to do at the beginning like Troy does, that makes doing the first display and vanish/reappearance like shooting puppies in a barrel.

Routine Times; 55 seconds on the inside. 75 seconds on the outside.

Tell me what you think. I’ve been doing all three (pun intended… again) of these routines for sometime now and the reactions I have been receiving are excellent from all. I’ve played with numerous other ones as well but have settled on these 3. If you have any ideas or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated as well.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27314 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Good to read that somebody is focusing on the presentation for the routine.

Given that presentation, you might consider a coin clip and pull setup to take the coins from your RIGHT hand after they've traveled and vanish all at once while you are looking at your LEFT hand wondering if it's dirty or something.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Thanks Jon. Killer Idea.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.