The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magicians of old :: Laurant Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
donsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of donsmagic
I just finished reading Gabe Fajuri's Laurant book and highly recommend it. I knew Bob Lund and I remember him saying the "unknowns" (compared to Houdini, Thurston etc)were the backbone of magic and really kept it alive. Thanks Gabe for very enjoyable and informative reading on a fascinating magician.
gfajuri
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of gfajuri
Don,

Thanks so much for your kind words about the book! I appreciate it, and I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one out there who's interested in the "tall grass" showmen of yesteryear.

Best Regards,

Gabe Fajuri
hendoo
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of hendoo
I just picked up a copy of Eugene Laurant "The Man of Many Mysteries" by Gabe Fajuri. What a great read this is. I think the thing that sets it apart is that much of the source material was from Laurant's scrapbooks. Great research and the cover ROCKS! So here is my question...

Are there other bios on the lesser known magicians out there? I have the Augustus Rapp bio but that is really about it. Does anybody have suggestions for further historical reading.

Thanks
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Read Illusion Show by David Bamberg or any of the Mike Caveny pro series.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Quote:
On 2005-05-24 15:22, hendoo wrote:

Are there other bios on the lesser known magicians out there? I have the Augustus Rapp bio but that is really about it. Does anybody have suggestions for further historical reading.

I heartily suggest reading "Milo and Roger - A Magical Life" by Arthur Brandon. A most pleasant journey. Of course, John Calvert is not one of the "lesser known" magicians, but the Rauscher book "John Calvert - Magic and Adventures Around the World" is literally a "page-turner". The gentleman has lived the lives of at least a dozen people. You think that you are reading about a different person each chapter. I can't imagine anyone having such a richly full life. Fascinating book that will give you a better perspective of and a greater appreciation for this national treasure. Highly recommended.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
429 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
Boy howdy... I am just returning from CA where I had the incredible good fortune of meeting and spending some time with the living legend, John Calvert... a most extraordinary experience. and I bought the Rauscher book and it is indeed a page turner... really... maybe it is becuase I just spent time with him but this is a fascinating book.

and I am not selling it.

doc
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, the Calvert book is great. You would swear that no one could have lived this kind of life but it is true. John is a great guy to work with

I have an extra copy of the book in paperback if someone is interested I might be pursuaded to sell it. I think it is signed and out of print.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.