The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Help with source for a ring off rope sequence (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
fredrux
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of fredrux
Dear Magic Café members,
Gregory Wilson performed a ring off rope sequence beautifully on a convention. I had hoped to find it on his Ringleader video, but alas it was not. See if You recognize the following: Fingerring is threaded on rope. Left hand holds ends, ring dangling at bottom. Right hand strokes strands from left hand down to ring. Right hand covers ring on last stroke, massages it. Ring falls out of your hand into spectators hand. Right hand goes up to left hand, they stretch rope between them.
Ring and rope are unprepared. The sequence is impromptu. Does it ring any bell? (no pun intended) I would be very grateful for clues regarding the source for this cleanlooking impromptumiracle. Thanks in advance! fredrux
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
That sounds like a very cool move. I'd be interested in the source as well when/if you dig it up.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Looks like Dan Garrets The Faustus Ring.
fredrux
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of fredrux
Thank You rmoraleta! I will look that up. Cheers! fredrux
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
This also sounds very much like a move in Mark Leveridge's routine (published in one of his Master Routine manuscripts and in his book).

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
fredrux
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of fredrux
Thanks taliesyn/Richard for guiding me towards a possible source! To distinguish between this sequence and similar looking, perhaps I should mention that the strandstrokes are vital. fredrux
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Looks to me like being Bruno's ring move (Bruno of Hollywood).

IIRC, the same one Fred Kaps used in the UK captured *Ring of stem of wineglass*, Pete Biros effect..

But in this held high, whilst the strings are stroken downwards..could it be you mixred up the haddling re this?

Ring always 'on top'..could though be handled, starting with ring on the 'bottom' and moving it upwards whilst striking the cord downwards..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
fredrux
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of fredrux
Thank You Werner G Seitz for your input! The ring is really on the rope (at the bottom = the middle of the half folded rope) the last time the right hand strokes the strands downward to cover the ring. During the massageing action the right hand never moves, just opens slightly so the by now released ring can be dropped in spectators hand. fredrux
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Yes, but using Bruno's version, the ring *really* is on the rope !

fredrux
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of fredrux
Bruno´s ring move sounds very interesting. I have not been fortunate to see Fred Kaps perform Pete Biro´s effect, but would have loved to. I watch the dvd "Fred Kaps...Seeing is believing" over and over again (Thank You Dick Koornwinder!). fredrux
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Let me just confirm, that Fred Kaps DID use Bruno's Ring move, on that TV special where he did Pete Biro's *Ring on Stem of Wineglass*, I couldn't resist to recheck to se if memory works as it should..... Smile
Note, a VERY soft rope has to be used..
Hunt that TV special *The Fred Kaps Magic Show* captured and broadcasted in the UK, producer John Fisher (who else Smile ).

This is about the best move for getting a ring off a rope, where the spec himself has threaded the ring on the rope...

Bruno is from Holland, lived in Hollywood, but died a couple of years back.
I did meet him in 1962 at Leeuwarden/Holland, together with Eddy Taytelbaum, Bruno demoed and actually baffled me with this move..it's based also on good misdirection, not to forget..
I even have a picture of the 3 of us at Eddys boot, me doing a carddemo for Bruno..picture send to me by Eddy many years back..

Bruno's ring move was described in the dutch periodical *Triks* in the early 1960's, IIRC.

The way Fred Kaps does it, is as with anything he did, outstanding..
You can though 'se' some of the 'secret' when running the capture in slowmotion..

Also note, that he immediately after the 'removal' does use the sublety to show it is still on the rope, IIRC this was first published by Scotty York in Kabballa and is also shown and described in Earl Nelsons book *Variations*..

Here Earl does publish his own handling re ring off rope, which is one I did years back, it's a GREAT move and VERY deceptive, but in this case one has to thread the ring on oneselfes..
The Bruno move, done the way FK does it, is superiour, but Earl Nelson's is second choice...look it up!

fredrux
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of fredrux
Great background to ring off rope! I´ll try to trace "The Fred Kaps Magic Show" and the other sources. Fortunately I have Variations. Thanks again Werner G Seitz! fredrux
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Werner,

Do you know if the Kaps routine is on the 'Fred Kaps...Seeing is Believing' DVD?
Thanks

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Yres I know..it's not there, soley on the *Fred Kaps Magic Show* broadcasted way back in the UK...

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Thanks Werner - it was worth a try!