The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Travelling Cash (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
260 Posts

Profile of Shikina
I recently purchased Dan Harlan's "Bandshark" video and I was instantly intrigued by this routine. The only problem is, I'd much rather do a version with a dollar bill, than with the spectator's fingertips (as shown on the video). I hope I'm not violating this sites conventions, but can somebody help me with a visually pleasing method for folding the bill on the bands? I already know the rest of the routine, so all I need is a bill fold.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I always thought the original trick was done with a bill and named because of that fact.
I use a bill folded in half lengthwise and then folded again around the top strand.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Quote:
On 2005-04-11 19:14, Jaz wrote:
I always thought the original trick was done with a bill and named because of that fact.
I use a bill folded in half lengthwise and then folded again around the top strand.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Dan Harlan invented it when he had a desk job and used a paper clip. On http://www.mymagic.com they have a video clip http://mymagic.com/harlan.htm
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
The trick was originally done with a bill (I think.) And yes, the bill is folded (by a spectaor, you can set-up during this time) lenghtwise, then wrapped around the upper strand, and then folded the widthwise in order to ytrap the strand in the bill. The spec hold the bill closed around the band.
J.
marcjh
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
139 Posts

Profile of marcjh
I seem to recall that the trick was even published in Geneii magazine using rubber bands and a bill. If I get the time I'll find out the issue and year.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Jeremy L. is correct that I invented this effect back in the mid-80's while avoiding doing my job. I was employed as a graphic designer for a stage lighting company. I came up with it while trying to create an impromptu way to link rubberbands (which I eventually found). I initially used a paperclip, but switched to a folded bill within a week, because I was working evenings doing table-side for tips! This was the sure-fire tip getter.
It was first published in a set of notes I cobbled together when I was asked to fill-in for a lecturer (Karl Norman) who had taken ill. The first "public" write-up of it appears in the Dec. 1986 Linking Ring Originality Parade. It has appeared in many places since then.
When I no longer worked for tips I stopped using the bill in favor of having the spectator pinch the strand. This makes the magic connection more tactile and shaves a bit of time off of the process.
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Hello Dan,
I wonder if the finger-pinch won't allow the spectator to clearly think that the strand he's holding has just switched place with the other one (rather than the magic possibility of the bill/paperclipped which has changed place onto the other strand.)
Is this clear??? I mean: since the spec KNOWS his fingers didn't change place, don't you think the effect lead toward the method in a more straightforward manner?

It is just a thought, since I never tried it with the spec's fingers...
Jonathan.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Jonathan--
The strange (yet awesome) truth is that spectators (if they try to explain logically what happens) overwhelmingly believe that somehow the strand they are holding is pulled out of their grip while the next one is substituted. They have never thought that the strands switch places. To them, the strands moving is more impossible! Ya gotta love logic!
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
I have to try that! If they react as you say, you really have a PLUS there.

(But I have to say I really like the fact that, with the bill, you can have an 'in-between' situation in wich the two strands seem to be caugh together in the bill, befor you reveal the actual "jump", I think it adds to the realism of the penetration effect.)

Well, I just have to find two rubberbands and a colleague who has (at least) two fingers.

Thanks!
Jonathan.
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
I must say a big Thanks to you Dan Harland. I have done this ever since I lerned it from the Bandshark tape when it came out and it is such a strong effect for laymans. I have gotten so manny bookings from this one when toing stroling and table hopping.

Jonas Karlsson
Vibono & Mirage/
Vibono Magic
SWEDEN
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
One problem I've had with the bill.
I've been shot in the face with it more than once.
I still use the bill but if a matchbook is available I'll have them hook that on and close it.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Quote:
On 2005-04-14 15:44, Jaz wrote:
One problem I've had with the bill.
I've been shot in the face with it more than once.

Hehehe... Never happened to me, but I'll be aware now!
J.
marcjh
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
139 Posts

Profile of marcjh
A friend performed this in the cellar of the Magic Castle. There were well over 40 people crammed in down there. It got a great reaction- plus it was off the table so everyone could see the magic. Talk about packing small and playing real big.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
I can't remember where I picked this up, but I have seen this routined with a spectator's watch being attached and held to the strands as it moves. The "hook" was that it indicated moving through various time zones.

Regards,

Paul Green
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10974 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Paul I thaught you weren't a fan of rubberband effects.....did you give me a bum steer....... lol
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Paul that is Gregory Wilson's version/ routine. At the end you show their watch turned ahead or back three hours.

:)Have a nice day! Smile
Jeremy L.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Vinny,

I choose not to perform rubber band magic. I do "stretch" my knowledge base and know many routines.

All the best,

Paul (not allergic to latex) Green
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10974 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Paul that paddle you gave me with my name on it I not only do a routine with it I also incorperate the paddle in my liquid band I thank you
vinny
and when are you going to be performong at the castle . keep me posted
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com