The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Stage escapes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
james_magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of james_magic
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone could help me with ideas for escapes on stage. How can I build up the tension if there is no danger? I have an idea to get chained to a roadworks pole that I have, get covered and then escape. I anyone has any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

In my last escape I did for family friends, I gave them the keys once I was chained up. But at the end, when I had escaped, they thought that I had another set of keys and was just unlocking the padlocks. Is there any way of preventing this?

Thanks, James
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
375 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Give them two sets of keys. Or use something that does not use keys e.g. ropes, strait-jacket, and escapes where you don't seem to have physical access to the lock. You can have a metal detector with which you are examined prior to the restraints being applied, do the escape naked or with briefs on, be 'examined by a doctor', use restraints bought in by other people. There are many methods escapologist have used in the past and still currently use.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

Profile of SpiffnikHopkins
Have the lock placed somewhere you can't get at it. In the small of your back perhaps. If you're not using a key, why not escape in front of them? Many people are more impressed if they get to watch you use your skills and they can't then accuse you of cheating. Unless of course you are cheating, in which case you do want to be covered. Smile

Of course I say "cheating" to mean using a key or other gimmick. I use 'em too. I don't mean to be critical of that method.

~Spiff
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
You might want to add a little "perceived" danger as well as using borrowed locks, handcuffs, metal detectors...
Tony Chapparo
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Many of the best escapes, for a modern audience, are those which are fast and do not require cover. He was quite the showman but I am not so sure today's audience would sit in anticipation and wait 2 hours for Houdini to get out of some contraption. Some of his challenge escapes took that long. I suggest:

Kellar Rope Tie...visible and funny

Thumb Tie...related to above routine wise

Strait-jacket has plenty of action

Tied in 50 to 100 feet of rope can be done without cover

Handcuff escape can be done without covering anything but hands. You can, to some degree, get around the theory you have a key by letting them tape the key ways. Unless of course you need to use the key to escape.

Totem pole or slick post is visible and quite spectacular...old sideshow attention getter.

Some chain escapes can be done visibly as well.

quack