The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Ammar reprimanded by Vernon? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I have the Vernon's Revelations set, but it will be a while before I get to view them, as I have a lot of other material ahead of them that I am still working on. Does anyone know if the segment where Ammar is reprimanded is still on volume one? I heard that they cut the footage when it was released, but has now been reinstated in the current DVD sets. Probably to increase sales, but I am not sure if my set contains the lost footage as of yet. I do not wish to check until I am actually ready to go through the set. Also does anyone know why he was reprimanded exactly, and what was said?
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
hanosek
View Profile
New user
Columbus OH
16 Posts

Profile of hanosek
If I remember correctly Vernon scolded him for doing "Triumph" as a show of skill and not adding an emotional hook.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Quote:
On 2005-04-05 08:46, hanosek wrote:
If I remember correctly Vernon scolded him for doing "Triumph" as a show of skill and not adding an emotional hook.

I watched this again and didn't see any scolding.
~Joe
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2005-04-05 08:46, hanosek wrote:

That is about what I had heard as well. I wonder if my version has this "scolding" on, being I just got them? Or perhapas they are older, but were sitting in the stock room awhile. Now I can't wait to find out if I have the unedited version. Anyone know for sure, or have the unedited scolding?
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
My understanding is that the scolding was on the original Videonics video release.
It was edited out of the L&L video rerelease
But on the L&L DVD release it is added in as a "deleted scene"

In my opinion, in should be there. Vernon is full of praise of Ammar for other things - particularly his coin routine. But Vernon's view on the performance of Triumph is of huge importance - not just for Triumph, but for the performance of all magic. I'm glad it has been restored.
JoeFreedom
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of JoeFreedom
It is on the DVD. El Mystico has it correct.
Joe
JoeFreedom

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I don't remember seeing this. If convenient, can someone tell me which one (i.e., which volume) of the DVDs this deleted scene appears on?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2955 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I think the real question is: what does reprimanded means?
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
I wouldn't mind seeing that as well.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Reprimanded is what your wife does when you don't take out the trash!
dom
View Profile
New user
italy/UK
17 Posts

Profile of dom
If I am not wrong, on Easy to master card miracles 1 it is Ammar himself who does admit of being reprimanded by vernon (he even imitates vernon while telling this) not adding any emotional hook to the effect.
realorcy
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of realorcy
What is "emotional hook",sorry I am not good at English.
magicsteve99
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of magicsteve99
An emotional hook is the thing that creates human interest, the story line that catches your attention, the real reason that you pay attention to the trick, the thing that creates meaning for the spectator. Hope one of these makes sense!
realorcy
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of realorcy
I know it now.
Thank you magicsteve99.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I heard others say it was volume one?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I am also going to have to rewatch that tape...I don't remember Dai being curt with Mike, however, that said...

I WAS disappointed with the way Vernon treated Steve Freeman. It seemed he was critical of his every move, and even said, "...that's NOT the way I DO IT!" Steve was visibly rattled by him, and it noticibly made Vernon appear crotchety.

I've been a fan of Dai Vernon's since the Stars Of Magic days, and my first Twisting The Aces was Vernon's. After watching vol's 1 & 2, I come away with the feeling he was impatient and pugnacious. I hope it's not true, and not indicative of the rest of the volumes.

Has anyone here ever met Mr. Vernon? I hope he was as pleasant a person as I used to imagine...now mind you, when you're in your later, elderly years, things HURT all the time, your body does not want to function "normally", and that can tend to tone down a person's good humor. My dad was almost IMPOSSIBLE in the months before he died at 90. That I can understand.

I'm a big fan of Dai Vernon's and always will be.

Doug
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Why does someone have to do it like Vernon exactly does it. don't we all try and learn something and then do it the way that we can do it.
realorcy
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of realorcy
Vernon is a normal people like all of us.He can hate or love something with no reason like us.Don't take him sa a deity.He is a great magician ,when he is a normal people.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Let's just say I heard he pulled a prank on the old man.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Boat
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Boat
I met Dai Vernon a few times. Once at the castle. Other times at conventions. He He was always very nice. I also attended an after mid-night invitation only close-up talk with him. Fantastic!

However, I have seen him get riled up about things that he the feels are sub standard. He was a genius and a perfectionist. He spent hours working out the kinks in everything he did. So it's certainly understandable if he's critical of someone's work that he feels is not up to snuff.

Just my thoughts,

Al