The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Which Reel? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
craz4azanz
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of craz4azanz
I am interested in buying a reel and cant decide on which one is the better reel between the Super Micro or the Thread Boss. I heard that both are pretty much the same and the only difference is in the thread that each of them use, I was just wondering which one you guys would prefer for?
Derek Dean
View Profile
Regular user
Monterey, CA
129 Posts

Profile of Derek Dean
Howdy craz4azanz, do some "searches" on the subject of IT reel and you will find a wealth of information. A lot depends on what kind of conditions you will be performing under and what kind of routines you will be performing.
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Get the spider pen its the best reel out there
threadz
View Profile
New user
TN.
37 Posts

Profile of threadz
I prefer the old reliable reels none that uses electric motors.I use the micro and sell mostly the micro it is easy to hide in the place you need it.plus if you are new to thread work its not as exspensive so if you don't like it it didn't cost you an arm and leg.If you have any more ?'s don't hesitate to ask be glad to help you.
www.xtrememagicshop.com

where the magic is limited only by your Imagination!
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
What does everyone think of the Stealth Retractor?
craz4azanz
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of craz4azanz
Thanx for the info guys as for the conditions I would pretty much be using this on close up effects with good lighting to help hide the thread.I already have the spider pen but I was really dissappointed with it. Thanx for the advice on the micro threadz I really appeciate it, and as for the stealth retractor I really don't like it a lot because I was not really comfortable palming it, and you cant end clean immediatly, only with the ditch on it in your pocket or somewhere.
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
Quote:
On 2005-04-05 13:17, JJP161 wrote:
What does everyone think of the Stealth Retractor?

I thought it is a bit "bulky" for me, just didn't feel cofortable. Then again I was expecting something similar to normal ITR's so...

I think you should check one out before buying, Easy to Master Thread Miracles shows the apparatus.
Gary Barnard
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
145 Posts

Profile of Gary Barnard
I agree with you Stevie. The Spider Pen is definately the best ITR out there. Get it.

Gary
Gary

"It's in the very trickery that it pleases me. But show me how
the trick is done, and I have lost my interest therein."
- Seneca the Younger, In his 45th Epistle to Lucilius
(4 B.C.-A.D. 65)
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I trashed my Spider Pen in a day and a half. It has such a week motor.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You need to use a little common sense working with things like the Spider Pen. It's not made to lift really heavy things. I have one that I have used for over a year without any problems at all.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
Quote:
On 2005-08-14 21:31, kissdadookie wrote:
I trashed my Spider Pen in a day and a half. It has such a week motor.

The weakness of the Spider Pen motor is actually perfect for the thread. The motor is not really the weak part really. I find that the batteries run out too quickly thus loosing your torque. If the motor was stronger, then the thread would break all the time.

The secret to using the Spider Pen is in making sure you have fresh batteries in it when performing. It works as it is suppose to... actually, you do all the work, it helps you.
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
I've had experience with the Steath Retractor, Hummingbird Reel, Spider Pen, and Micro Thread Boss. I found that the Stealth Retractor was the best electric one, but not as easy to disguise as the Spider Pen. My favorite Reel of all time has to be the Micro Thread Boss. Sure, its not an electric, but it get's the job done.
Hope this helps...
~Jonton
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I second that opinion. The ITR Boss is also more reliable as you don't have battery failure to contend with.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
The spider pen is worthless if you want to float anything heavier than a dollar bill. I use the micro itr myself.
Daniel Faith
BobbyJ
View Profile
New user
Tucson, Az
48 Posts

Profile of BobbyJ
I use both the Micro & Spider Pen. They are both excellent, but have different applications. BobbyJ
carddealer69
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of carddealer69
Yes, micro and spider pen. Do not get the indian thread reels. I tried it and it sucks.