The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Street Magic :: How to aproach people (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
anticoin
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of anticoin
Just make a fool out of yourself and 'don't give them a chance to reject u'
rumburak
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of rumburak
There was a really useful post some time ago on how to properly pick your audience. This is the key to really successful street magic. You can find the post here

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=3471478

However, if you follow the other suggestions from this thread to just let people approach you, I could easily imagine that you would filter out your audience in pretty the same manner.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
[
Why would you suggest avoiding the use of a coin?
Thanks,

Doug

Hey Doug...
When I said 'commonplace objects' I should've clarified : Commonplace objects which are NOT normaly associated with magic. When you produce a card, coin, or set of chrome rings, or cup & ball, people instantly expect magic, but with VisiBill or penthru, it looks as though youre literaly DOING magic with nonmagical items.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1440 Posts

Profile of MDantes
I usually start off by walking up, calm and collected and saying something along the lines of, " Hey, tell me if you have ever seen this before, I'm not sure ,just watch." They usually start laughin once I do it so... Never failed me.

The Jester
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
darkleopard5
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
107 Posts

Profile of darkleopard5
What I do is make ppl come 2 me, I find it easier, I recetley started to do this after I got the hummer, I just spin the card while it floats, within 2 sec, I have some 1 staring at me. Hope that helped.
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Quote:
On 2005-04-02 17:46, jay1488 wrote:
Hi, I was just wandering what you think the best way to aproach somebody in the street is.

Very carefully. I found out the hard way. Some people just don't give a rat's behind about your magic. Now I tread lightly.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
denzildon
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of denzildon
I just don't have to courage yet to approach random ppl. Smile But If I get confident enough on my tricks I would.
Imagination is more important than knowledge!!! -- Albert Einstein
George 
View Profile
Regular user
New York
133 Posts

Profile of George 
Excuse me... Do you remember me? I'm George, do you remember me from the (book signing/concert/family reunion/rave/etc.)? ...No, you don't? Really? I'm sorry... I've been a little 'off' lately. I don't know what it is...a lot of weird stuff has been happening.... :::cool magic:::

I have a weird personality, so acting weird works well for me. It's fun for me and hopefully the magic will be fun for them.

George
The Dragon
View Profile
New user
The Dark Shadows.
90 Posts

Profile of The Dragon
"Something really strange, wanna see?"

D.
Don't think too much.

Just hit it.
Magnum
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Magnum
If I want to do magic for strangers, I usually just vanish a card a few times, and once they see it they ask to see more
MagicJared
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MagicJared
I normally pick a busy spot and contact juggle, when people come up to me and ask 'what is that?' or comment about me playing with my balls, then I ask if they'd like to see a trick.
As for approching people, I find that no matter who the person is you'll have no idea ever how they'll respond. I've had sweet old ladies just look at me funny and I've had tough mean-looking people demand more tricks. The best bet is to just perform for everyone and hope for the best. Also, if people seem reluctant, tell them you're not doing it for money, chances are that if they really like you they might give you some any way.
Joshua Holmstadt
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Joshua Holmstadt
When you normally approach a stranger what have your success rates been of people that stay and see the trick?
MagicJared
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MagicJared
Normally people say yes, maybe 1 in 4 tell me 'no'.
DanielTyler
View Profile
New user
New York
95 Posts

Profile of DanielTyler
I think people who see approaching others with magic is an obstacle or burden are looking at it from the wrong perspective. The frame to take when approaching a spectator is not:

"I'm a magician and I'd like you to see what I can do. I don't want to bother you or intrude, I just want to show you what I do."

Lose that neediness, don't see your magic as an intrusion, see it as a gift!

"I'm a magician and you look like you're bored out of your mind. Let me take you out of your routine and brighten up your day with something you've never seen before, and will never see again."

If that's the frame you're coming from, it doesn't matter whether the spectator says "Yes" or "No." If they want to see your magic, great! You can share a memorable few minutes of wonder. If they aren't interested, great! I'd much rather give this gift to somebody who wants it.

Do you think the Prize Patrol is nervous or worried about being successful when going up to the door with that million dollar check? See your magic as a gift, and you can adopt the same kind of confidence. Just go out and enjoy yourself.

By the way, the public approach is something I've been studying and figuring out for over a year now. I went from somebody who was too scared and shy to perform for anyone other than family and friends, to somebody who now goes out between one and two hours a night to perform for dozens of strangers. And I've written a book about my experiences and learnings. I don't want this to sound like a plug-in, but if you're really having trouble with this area, I recommend checking it out here: http://www.tylermagic.com/thepublicapproach.htm

Also, don't hesitate to send me a private message if you have any specific questions about approaching. Have a good one!
- Daniel Tyler

www.tylermagic.com
rumburak
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of rumburak
Quote:
Lose that neediness, don't see your magic as an intrusion, see it as a gift!

"I'm a magician and you look like you're bored out of your mind. Let me take you out of your routine and brighten up your day with something you've never seen before, and will never see again."

That is really an excellent way to put it! Thanks for your insight!
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
[quote]On 2005-07-04 08:33, MagicJared wrote:
or comment about me playing with my balls, then I ask if they'd like to see a trick. [quote]
sorry to say but I dotn think playing with your balls in a restaurant is going to bring you the crowd you want.. HAHAHA