The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Ways to Vanish a Silk (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use a single hank ball as the sole gimmick in my 20th Century routine. The silk tied between the tied silks is pulled from the hank ball in the act of rolling-up the visible tied silks. The patterned silk is vanished using an old technique that was popularized on a Duane Laflin video, using the hank ball.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
As Mentioned above-

Silk to Cane as shown on Jeff Mc Brides 20th Century silks is a great way for a vanish-works well in this routine & very visual

If Possible don't use a mirror Box!

Theres also plenty of those cardboard Lewis cones that fold into a container etc used for a vanish with a flick & a bit of confetti

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=623

Good Luck
Fitzy
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
14 Posts

Profile of Fitzy
I use the cane to silk for my 20th century silk it just works for me and you get to transform the silk to a cane then make it appear between the silks to tricks that work good together
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Can I vanish an 18" silk with the Tendo cane? I don't mind paying for quality. What size is the cane when closed?
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
If you like flash paper (and have followed all safety precautions), you can use a half sheet of flash paper rolled up into a tube. If you use a silk p**e or p**l then the vanish occurs immediately after the silk is placed inside the paper tube. You twist the ends closed (casually showing your hands empty by this action) and then burn the tube --- voila, silk has vanished. Just another suggestion.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
I used a blow vanish, ( I think it was called that, or maybe Blow Van) for a while. You had a paper roll, and you put, say a white silk or even a piece of tissue in one end, then the silk you want to vanish, then another whilte silk or piece of tissue. You then blew through the tube like apea shooter and the 2 white silks or tissues would come out, but the other silk was gone. You could then open up the tube to show it empty.

It sounds like it might be similar to the Abbotts tube that was mentioned above.

Joe H
waterford
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of waterford
An excellent method (old and rarely seen) is a silk "poke", which you can get from Viking Magic. Without going into the secret, it is a method that allows you to do an in-the-hands vanish without use of a pull or TT, hence no jacket required. It works very well. I believe Laflin may carry this as well.
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of DrVG
For the poke like exercise, one have to admire and learn from Tom Stone s work ...
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Https://magiconthego.vhx.tv/silk-magic-o......ing-silk

Btw has anyone seen those videos ? is it worth ?

thanks
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For those of you who know me, you know I always prefer using a gimmicked ceramic silk-to-egg for vanishes and also sponge balls.

Combining Silk-To-Egg with 20th Century makes for MANY DIFFERENT routines. Each solves the other's problems.

Yes! I can still supply the ceramic eggs.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Hedri77551
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Hedri77551
Does any one know about the silk Rainbow Fountain production?
I ordered the item, from Daytona Magic. They do not give refunds.

I got silk material ,no instruction etc.,

Matrial but no magic act!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2024, Hedri77551 wrote:

I don't see a product with that specific name ("Silk Rainbow Fountain") on the Daytona Site.

However, maybe you are asking about a Silk Fountain.

If that's the case, I would suggest you buy the Silk Fountain video by Duane Laflin. He teaches you about Preparing the Silk Fountain, Producing the Silk Fountain, Possibilities with the Silk Fountain, Performing with the Silk Fountain, etc.

There is a DVD version and a download version.

https://davidandteesha.shop/products/the-silk-fountain-dvd

https://davidandteesha.shop/products/the......download

Duane also performs the trick on several videos for sale on the site (run by Duane's son, David Laflin), but the tutorial video sounds like the best fit for the info you are seeking. And they also sell a few different versions of the Silk Fountain. Simply do a search for "Silk Fountain" when on the Laflin Magic Store website, for the DVDs and silk sets that I've mentioned.

There's a performance clip on this page:

https://davidandteesha.shop/products/silk-fountain

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2024, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2024, Hedri77551 wrote:

I don't see a product with that specific name ("Silk Rainbow Fountain") on the Daytona Site.

However, maybe you are asking about a Silk Fountain.

Or maybe Yan Yan Ma's Rainbow Silk Fountain Streamer? Daytona has that listed: https://daytonamagic.com/shop/product/38......treamer/

If so, Hedri77551, you should have no trouble contacting Daytona and getting the link to the tutorial. It is a 10 minute tutorial which goes over everything. It is a terrific trick.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1160 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I use a medicine/pill bottle, with a rare earth magnet glued inside of it. Leave the bottom on. No lip necessary, use the packed hanky to press your finger in against the pill bottles side wall. I put a postcard in my back pocket with the correctly polarized magnet in position. Hand dye tube vanish, momentarily ditch the vanished pill bottle to the back, just long enough to display hands empty, retrieve, pull the twentieth century silk for revelation, in the process of whipping the 3 silks through the air, I drop the pill bottle into my case.

Build your 20th century silk props backwards. Get the largest pill bottle that you can manage, and have your silks built around it. Especially the vanish silk. Cheat up on your gimmick silk sizes, they have no point of immediate reference to discern.

I use a fake silk polyester from the fabric store.

Blocking is important with the momentary pocket ditch. Use the helper to block that angle.

A good hand dye tube steal is one of the most devastating vanishes around.

On silk material...

Black 1431717

The advantage of going to the store- you can order a specific size by inch. If you know what size that you want, and if you catch a sale, you can make an awesome streamer for really cheap. If I'd ordered online, it would have cost almost $40. Walking into the store, it cost under $6

My streamers lately have been 55"x10"

I get a little bit of extra material to make a matching dove bag harness/jacket

This material is also great for making 20th century silks. You'll want to reverse engineer those... create a great diamond silk for the vanish. Mine is an 18" diamond that fits perfectly in my giant, magnetic hand dye tube. Demolished an audience last night with the cleanest sleeves rolled up, non-pull vanish imaginable. Without an over the top, clean, manipulation vanish, the old standard transposition falls flat.