The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books/Pamphlets/Notes :: The Magician's Wand: A History of Mystical Rods of Power by Joe Lantiere :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
The Magician's Wand: A History of Mystical Rods of Power by Joe Lantiere
---------------oOo-----------------

Description: The history, construction and uses of the magician's wand and similar rods of power from early to modern times. Includes information on ceremonial wands, the caduceus, Shaman wands, wands with crystals, conjurors' wands, tridents, daggers and much much more. There is no other book like it on the market! The book is 150 pages, soft cover, perfect bound, almost 200 illustrations.
---------------------------------------------------

From the Introduction we read:

"The magician should always have a wand to define his character to the audience. The wand is associated with a magician as much as the hammer is to the carpenter, the hoe is to the farmer, the scalpel is to the physician and the chisel is to the sculptor. They are all instruments of their trade, and just as people expect a carpenter to have a hammer, they expect a magician to have a magic wand. Before I perform a magic show, I often hear; "Are you sure you're a magician? Where's your magic wand?" Naturally I use a wand in my show, I can't disappoint them

Absolutely says I. As far as I'm concerned, every magician should own at least one good magic wand AND know how to make use of this handy magical tool. Now I can already hear a few moans and groans from the younger crowd who may see the magician's wand as being too OLD SCHOOL, as it were. But many of you who feel this way may not realize that there is much more then just cosmetics at work here. Indeed, while the look of the wand should definately fit the character of the performer (not everyone wants a black wand with white tips), the performer would do well to make use of the wand as a tool in not only establishing his/her credentials as a conjurer, but as an aid in providing misdirection. Ah, now there is the real secret of the magic wand - MISDIRECTION!

Yes, your audience will notice that wand and more importantly, they will be watching ever so closely when you reach for that great rod of power. Spin that bad boy and nobody in the room will see you loading that cup - trust me on this one. Smile

But where did the magic wand originate? Who were the first wizards to make use of such a device? How many different variations are there? Who decided that a magician's wand should be black with white tips? Answers to those questions and much much more are given and discussed in this 150 page marvel written by Joe Lantiere. Orginally published in 1990 as The Magician's Wand: An Illustrated History (with only 300 copies being printed), the new revised edition has been greatly expanded and contains even more information.

The book is a fun read and I found myself learning a few things I didn't know along the way. It was so interesting that I actually read the entire book in an afternoon. Seeing some of the wands shown in the many photographs, I could just imagine what a few modern day performers might look like using some of the many wands scattered within the pages of this wonderful manuscript. The book is very well produced, though I would prefer a hardbound edition. Maybe in the future? Smile

Whether you're a magic historian, hobbyist or a full time performer, this book belongs in your magical library. Even if you prefer not to use a wand, you should at least know the history of this famous magician's tool. Recommended. Smile

---------------------------------------------------

My rating:

Suggested retail: $20 + $5 S/H (foreign orders add $10)
Connecticut residents must add 6% state sales tax.

You can contact Joe Lantiere directly at:
Lantiere@aol.com

To order, visit the Olde World Magick website at: Click here!

Payments can be made via PayPal to: Lantiere@aol.com
You may also order by mail by sending a check or money order to:

Olde World Magick
P.O. BOX 162
OAKVILLE, CT. 06779-0162
USA
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks