The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books/Pamphlets/Notes :: Coinvanish Volume One by Dan Watkins :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Okay, I'm a card kind of guy. There, I said it and I feel better already. However, I always include a few coin routines in my shows, and do dabble with coins from time to time at home to keep my sleight of hand varied and up to par as it were.
I also own quite a large collection of various gaffed coins, because I think their pretty gosh darn cool, and I admire the precision and workmanship required to manufacture them. Smile

That said, I am always eager to add any new works regarding coin magic to my personal library, and was very pleased when Dan mailed me a copy of his new booklet.
The following I humbly present for your consideration. Smile

Coinvanish Volume 1 by Dan Watkins
---------------oOo-----------------

Description: This is not a book, but a manuscript.
It discusses and teaches three utility sleights that are not your common variety, and provides the reader with seven coin routines that are sure to stir your imagination.

The manuscript Dan provided me is very well produced, and is actually available in two different versions. Both contain the same content, have 21 double sided pages, are comb bound and are 8.5”x11” in size. Each booklet is draped with a strikingly beautiful color cover with 44 high resolution, digitally edited photographs that detail the inner workings of the routines.

If you purchase the manuscript from Dan, the version you receive will have color photographs, whereas the copies carried by dealers contain grayscale photos, and are a few dollars less in price. Otherwise there is no difference, and the quality of both versions is top notch. Take your pick, but I recommend the color version. Smile

Anyone who has ever visited Dan's website is already aware that Mr. Watkins is very well versed in the demanding area of coin magic. This, his first published offering is no exception.

Dan's writing style is clean and precise, and takes the shortest route possible in explaining the material presented, as opposed to wandering down the beaten path. Very nice.

The monograph begins by discussing and explaining three utility sleights that Dan later uses in some of the actual routines presented within its pages. A plus, since a good understanding of these sleights is required in order to perform them correctly.

The utility sleights discussed are The Back Thumb Retention Pass, a nice move that looks great, but can only be executed with your intended audience in front of you. If you generally work surrounded, you'll need something different.

The second is The Middle Finger Backclip, you may have seen this on Paul Cummins' video Up In Smoke, but Dan explains it here just in case. This is a nifty way to conceal a coin.

The final sleight examined is simply titled Wiped Clean. A very slick way to apparently show both hands empty, when in fact they are not. Way cool.

The remainder of the manuscript showcases seven (7) provocative routines detailing each effect, the setup required, and then the method involved. Clear photos accompany each routine.

Here is my take on the routines themselves:

Coinvanish Trio
Appearences and vanishes are the heart of this three coin routine. It's short and sweet, but very effective. You will need to own a special coin set in order to perform this, and Dan provides a source for those who do not. This reads well.

Sleight of Elbow
A coin that appears from one elbow, vanishes into the other, only to appear again, and finally exit altogether. Pure sleight of hand that really looks magical.

King Midas Spellbound
This is arguably the best routine offered, and my own personal favorite. A very convincing spellbound that uses four coins and is sure to keep your audience in total amazement.
This routine will require you to contact coin master Todd Lassen for a very special set of gaffed coins, or at the very least do some running around to get what is needed to duplicate as presented. Even at that, I believe this is a worthwhile cause, and thankfully Dan gives you the scoop on obtaining the items you'll need. Smile

Lightning Copper/Silver
A very quick transposition of two coins, using no gaffs, and a minimum of skill. I like.

Penetrating Okito and Beyond
A pretty standard Okito box routine that ends with the coins staying on top, while the box and lid penetrate the hand. The strong point of this routine is the fact Dan has designed it to be used while standing, while most Okito routines require a table to work on. You will need a standard Okito box and a Beyond Okito box to perform. Again, Mr. Watkins provides all the details. Interesting stuff here.

Jumbolaya
A killer routine where a coin is seen to actually grow in size, appear and vanish, and even penetrate body parts! This routine will require some dedication, and buying something special (available at your favorite dealer), but looks to be well worth the effort. Worth your consideration indeed.

Double-Take Transposition
A good transposition routine involving you, a spectator, and two coins. This is not that hard to learn, but does require a gaffed coin which I'm sure most of you own, or you should. This is a great routine that involves the spectator on a personal level.

If the coin magic you currently perform consists of biting a piece out of a half dollar, pulling a coin out of a spectator's ear, or you use a matchbox to cover the coin before the vanish, then this booklet is not for you.

This manuscript was written with the intermediate coin worker in mind. It's assumed you know some basic coin sleights like palms, false transfers and concealments. Owning a few gaffed coins is a given here, and serious coin workers should find no problems adapting this stuff in their own routines. Beginners may want to wait a bit, and instead invest in some lighter material.

That said, overall I was very impressed with the whole manuscript. Great content presented very professionally, and was a fun read as well. I must also point out that Dan did a noteworthy job of providing credits in regards to the many sleights and/or sources he drew his inspiration from, an often overlooked part in magic publishing that I really appreciated. A must read for all serious coin workers. Highly recommended. Smile

My rating:

Available from your favorite dealer. Dealers should contact Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc., http://www.murphysmagicsupplies.com

Suggested retail is as follows:
Full color version (direct from Dan)
$20.00 postpaid within U.S. $25.00 Airmail outside U.S.
PDF Version $15.00 (direct from Dan)
Grayscale version from your favorite dealer $17.00

You can contact Dan Watkins directly at: Dan@coinvanish.com
To visit the Dan's site: Click here!
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks