The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: The Message Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Canadian Guy
View Profile
Regular user
California
149 Posts

Profile of Canadian Guy
There is a new mentalism effect called "The Message Deck"
Here is the effect:
Three red backed cards are taken out and only you, the magician, knows what the faces of these cards are. A blue backed deck is then shown front and back. The red cards are placed, one by one, face down into the blue deck. Now the magician sends magical messages to the spectator. The spectator looks through the face up blue deck and calls out three cards. They are taken out of the deck and turned over to reveal the backs…they are the ONLY red backed cards in the entire deck. The magician has sent MENTAL messages to the spectator!

It is going to retail for $14.95 and is a great close up trick! There is no sleight of hand, nothing to ditch, no "lifts" and nothing to force! If you'd like one, you can get it through me for only $10 with free shipping in the U.S.
Please PM me for more info or to buy it!
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Is it possible for the spec to call out the wrong cards? This doesn't use an instant stooge, does it?
dlaub
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of dlaub
I think you'll find that this is a variation of Ron Wilson's "Second Sight," Published many years ago in The Uncany Scott Book. Ron only had one card named, but it could just as well be any number. Check it out
Canadian Guy
View Profile
Regular user
California
149 Posts

Profile of Canadian Guy
True, Mr Wilson had a version of the trick in 1971 in Genii but the Message Deck is a bit different and is ready to use, the Genii article suggested how to "Make the deck"
Ron Wilson is credited in the Message Deck instructions instructions.

p.s. - no instant stooge and it works 100% of the time!

Here is something that Max Maven said about the idea of the trick (this was posted on another forum page)
"To paraphrase Max Maven:

If a gang of monkeys were given an infinite amount of time they could eventually write the complete works of Shakespeare.

The idea of forcing a stranger card with a different colored back is perhaps the simple equivalent of the the words "To be..." from Hamlet's speech.

This effect, with a thoughtful routine, is quite strong.

And the Magic Apple has the deck."
Max Maven
View Profile
V.I.P.
266 Posts

Profile of Max Maven
Quote:
On 2005-03-15 14:45, Canadian Guy wrote:
Here is something that Max Maven said

"This effect, with a thoughtful routine, is quite strong.

As I have never seen the instructions for this trick, there's no way I could have made that statement. And I did not.
Canadian Guy
View Profile
Regular user
California
149 Posts

Profile of Canadian Guy
The Message deck, is in no way, claiming to be a brand new invention. We have cited and referenced EXACTLY where the idea came from and how we thought of it. Magic reinvention happens all the time, Greater Magic is one of the best books and we are trying to revive some of the lost effects. It is a revision of an old trick and it is different. From 2 decks and one card to one deck and one card, to The Message Deck - One Deck 3 Cards. The Rainbow Effect had some great reviews and sold well. The quote from Max was taken out of context and was communicated poorly on my part.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
If you put a thousand monkeys in front of a thousand computers for a thousand years in one room...
the smell would be incredible!!!

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I have just ordered this effect. I will review it once I recieve it.
Fingers crossed. If anyone else has this then a short review would be good.

Thanks,
CarlD
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CarlD
Sounds interesting. Let us know Pegasus, thanks:)

CarlD