The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! :: spirit bell? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
roguemagic
View Profile
New user
bizarre iowa
96 Posts

Profile of roguemagic
Does anyone know where I might obtain plans or the actual device for a spirit bell or similar device, that could be locked in a cabinet? I would like to incorporate this into my seances as a question and answer tool. It would need to be remotely controlled and possibly pass a brief examination. Smile
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Which one?

There dozens of Spirit Bells and similar systems.

PM me and we can talk about a few versions...
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
The BEST spirit bell is the crystal bell sold in manuscript form from Carlysle. I used it in seances a fair amount.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
RogueMagic,

Perhaps you'll get an idea from the fact that a vent figure only seems to talk.
The principle is applicable to what you want to do.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Paul

Anything created by the hand of God causes all other methods to pale... Smile

I've not used anything from Ed that wasn't wonderful! He's one of this industry's great secret treasures!

Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3077 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Mr. Alberstat, could you clarify for me: I don't have Carlyle's manuscript, but his spirit bell sounds suspiciously close to the old crystal-glass-strung-from-a-pencil effect described in Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic. Is that indeed the case? If so, it is probably quite effective (although that limitation on who can handle it during the Q&A still bedevils me).

Rogue: the ever-popular Mind, Myth, and Magick contains a homemade spirit-bell-in-a-box effect that uses no electronics (Bellsamo, page 571), yet you can walk away from it and still have it respond to a number of questions.

I can't testify as to how well it works, as I've not experimented with this particular version; however, it appears to be fairly labor-intensive to create (not the actual fabrication part; just the routine). Still, it's a *** clever idea, and I'm sure I'll be trying it myself before too long. Thanks for reminding me of it!
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
That is the basic effect, the crystal bell, BUT his manuscript gives much more than the bare bones that Gardner does. Caryle's expertise in Seance work and spirit effects is vast and truly one of the best anyone could have. In fact, he has been gracious enough to offer a very limited (only 5 acts may sign up for it) workshop to learn the actual spirit cabinet effect (like Francis Willard does) next June here in Calgary. This is the type of person anyone interested in seance effects wants to learn from. The BEST!

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB StageCraft
Sam Haine
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
159 Posts

Profile of Sam Haine
Greetings,

Okay, I am giving away one of my favorites here: Find someone with the Albo series. Check volume 9 (I think) for spirit bells. There are bunches. I got my design from there. It rings while held by a member of the audience. No threads, magnets, insects, projectiles, stooges, radiation, or actual spirit contact required.

Good Luck,
Sam Haine
Magical entertainment for charities www.sam-haine.com
DarkKnight
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of DarkKnight
Quote:
On 2002-10-08 02:50, Sam Haine wrote:
Greetings,

Okay, I am giving away one of my favorites here: Find someone with the Albo series. Check volume 9 (I think) for spirit bells. There are bunches. I got my design from there. It rings while held by a member of the audience. No threads, magnets, insects, projectiles, stooges, radiation, or actual spirit contact required.

Good Luck,
Sam Haine

That sounds really useful. I've had a hunt around for those manuscripts but with no luck. Anyone got any ideas where I could find them ?
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hello,
The best "Spirit Bell" is the one the old masters used. A bell was mounted on a platform and covered with a glass, but it didn`t make the noise. This was done by a wind-up-mechanism with an encased bell. This apparatus was placed into the top of your pants against the tummy. With muscle retraction the bell started to ring. You could walk a little bit away from the covered bell, because nobody realizes, that the sound doesn`t come from the bell which rests on a table, a chair or was held in the performers hand. The performer could even stand in the audience, holding the fake bell.
does that make sense?

The best routine with such a bell was written by the English magician and dealer Fred Loew. As far as I can recall it is in "Pabular". Should you have any questions, feel free to ask!

TED LESLEY

Sorry, in the afore mentioned mail I made a mistake. The routine is not in "Pabular" it`s in "Pallbearers"!

TL
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
Thoughtreader wrote:
That is the basic effect, the crystal bell, BUT his manuscript gives much more than the bare bones that Gardner does.
Paul Alberstat

I could never find the right kind of crystal
bell. They all have etchings in them.

Paul, do you know of a source for the proper bell?
Cheers,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Beleive it or not searching souvinier and touristy type shops are good to find them as are flea markets. If they have writing on them, put them through the dishwasher a few times and the writing magically disappears.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB StageCraft