The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Let there be magic! :: Publishing :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I was thinking about publishing some of my stuff and posted a question as to what everyones idea was and how I should go about doing it. Well, Scott directed me toward the pages where it was already discussed and I looked over it. I decided that for now I would try to put together a lecture notes style booklet on my own, and was wondering if I could get a few people to review it and post the review on this site. Granted, it is far from being done, but I wanted to make sure I could get a few reviewers before going full force.

Anyone who would like to do this please let me know and I will get to work on these as soon as possible. If all turns out well, and the reviews are good, I plan to sell the notes for $10. dollars per booklet. Actually, notes may be a misnomer, because it will have roughly 35 tricks in it, mostly cards.

Here is a rundown of some of the stuff:

Caught: An effect in the style of Brother Johns "Your signed card"

Jazzy Teleporter: Aces travel all over when placed with the teleporter cards

Formula 51: 51 faces south with a prediction kicker

Non-Gaffed card to wallet: a card to wallet using a wallet with a chain attached for the younger generation. (wallet can be bought at Wal-Mart for $13.)

Geminis Prediction: Karl Fulves Gemini Twins plot (not to be confused with Brother John's twins) with 2 spectator shuffled decks

3 Card Wyld: A monte effect with a wild card ending

Torn and Restored.. Guaranteed: a reason to tear a card and restore it, utilizing the guarantee joker card

plus many others: Lie Detector card, Thin Line Between Good and Evil (originally worked on with Josh Williams on Visions, have since revamped the entire handling) Surfs Up, Mental Thought Transference, The Bet, Mental Dice

non card items:

Gum Again?: a prediction effect using a new pack of gum where the chosen gum is a different color from all the others

Alchemy if you please: a matchbox and a coin is an alchemist dream

Coughed up: A vanished item is found inside a sealed bag of cough drops

I am also working on a few others to add. Again anyone who is willing to help me and review these, will get them for free before I sell them. I have posted a few times on Ultimate Magic so if you happen to be there go ahead and check it out. It will either be under RVD or DL Kraft.
Thanx
do magic

www.8bom.net
Garrett Nelson
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Garrett Nelson
If the Scott you are referring to is Scott Guinn, you are in good hands. He has published several books himself.

My first advice would be to see how you are going to produce them. Overhead can end up being higher than you might think.

I recently self-published my "notes" as well, and it was hard to keep the production cost down (although they are full color, which adds considerably to the price).

The bottom line is, it is a labor of love. If you want to do it, do it. It won't make you rich. Breaking even is a much better way to look at it.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Thanx Garrett, will start working on it manana.
do magic

www.8bom.net
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Very interesting mixture of effects. Depending on how fancy you want to get, there is so much great technology available (software wise) that you can probably do everything yourself. As GarretDN stated, it will definitely be a labor of love.

Good luck.
ME
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Quote:
On 2002-09-26 00:31, Kraft wrote:
Formula 51: 51 faces south with a prediction kicker

Its hard for me to comment as I'm a little confused but I thought I'd post anyway!

51 Faces South (which I assume is a variation of 51 Faces North) with a prediction kicker sounds to be a step backwards. The entire idea of the Open Prediction genre is that the prediction is open and revealed at the start of the effect and not at the end as a kicker. Why do you need a kicker with an effect like this anyway?

Just some thoughts - good luck with the project!

--Andi
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Hey Kraft!

Your material sounds promising, I'm looking forward to reviewing it for you, if you don't mind!

Cheers! Smile

Logan Smile

P.S. You should also seek reviews from Scott Guinn and Peter Marucci as well as Mumblepeas!
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
ben creitz
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of ben creitz
Kraft, in order to keep costs down you may consider offering your booklet as a downloadable PDF. You can sell it over the web with PayPal. There are a couple of people here who do this: Anders Moden and Jeff Pierce come to mind. Steve Fearson also makes a business of this, and this is the way I plan on doing it when my great invention finally comes to me, *sigh*.
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1185 Posts

Profile of Chris
As Ben pointed out consider electronic publishing. PDF is one way to go, in my opinion not the best. I can give you many good reasons why you should not do it in PDF but I don't want to write too long a post.

I suggest HTML. You can embed video clips instead of illustrations, hyperlink it and do other neat things.

I am an electronic publisher, if you are interested you can send me your manuscript and if I like it, might offer you a contract.

There are pros and cons of doing it yourself or going with a publisher, like my Lybrary.com. In general you are giving up some profit margin in return for a more professional endproduct and an established sales channel. You will find out that even if you created your neat ebook it won't sell automatically and you will have to invest lots of time and money to sell more than a handful of copies.

Chris Wasshuber
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Andi,

The prediction in my Formula 51 effect is this: I take a card from a red backed deck and write something on the back of it, then place it undeneath the card case, The spectator deals the cards from a blue backed deck face up and when they want deals a face down card on top of the pile, then the remainder of the deck is dealt. The cards are squared then spread face down to see there is one face down card. The red card is removed from the case and it is seen to have 2 cards written on the back of it. These 2 cards match the cards on either side of the face down blue card. Then both cards are turned over and seen to match.

I understand what you are saying about the effect though, why do you need a kicker with such a strong effect anyway.

Kraft
do magic

www.8bom.net
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2502 Posts

Profile of ddyment
You should also know that there is an entire forum on the Magic Cafe devoted exclusively to this topic.

View it at http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......&120

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)