The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: What rope to be securely tied, yet not impossibly untied? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
imagique
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of imagique
Hi,

The problem occurs where someone ties you up for a zella tie or in and out type of escape, and at the end, you need the spectators who tied you up to untie you.

What kind of rope is the best for this? Magicians rope from the magic shop that is pulled as tightly as possible in a square knot is not even possibly untied without the help of needle nosed pliers or cutting. I find that woven nylon rope with a core, sold at Wal-mart, stays looking pretty good and white, but the knots can come undone almost on their own if the spectator ties a granny or just doesn't pull tightly enough.

For my board escape, I want the spectators to tie the wrists as tightly as possible, to the point where my hands are turning red, then purple.

What kind of rope is best for this application? Any particular makes, brands, etc.? Even if they tie a granny, I'd still like the knot to stay put.

Thanks,

Jimmy
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I always used pliable, woven or twisted white nylon if I wanted the knots undone quickly and easily (the pliable nylon; not the stiff 'poly-cord'). I use a short length for full-view sack escapes where the sack is used as an alternative for a screen. After getting out of the 'hidden' item, I untie the rope through the cloth, throwing it open with a flourish.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
imagique
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of imagique
Yeah, Steve, that's what I'm using now. It's just a little bit too easy. I'm looking for a little bit more difficulty untying to justify the miracle that's just taken place.

JF
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
When I do a wrist-tie, it's similar to what you describe. I use 5/16" braided nylon rope. And I find that 11' is a good length. It might sound weird, but it works for me.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Wrap a piece of rope around your wrists. and try to have it going around once.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Another thing to consider, is that often a committee does a crappy job of tieing you. So what? If it's easy, that doesn't mean it must LOOK easy. Yes, we're performers. Yes, somtimes we do some things that are pretty difficult (and often the audience doesn't know the difference), but if they see us WORK, they identify with the effort, and are more likely to give the applause we like.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Quote:
On 2005-02-23 08:02, imagique wrote:
Yeah, Steve, that's what I'm using now. It's just a little bit too easy. I'm looking for a little bit more difficulty untying to justify the miracle that's just taken place.

JF

Use the same method and add some more acting. The pay check won't be bigger just because you made it harder for yourself! Smile
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Or use 200 feet of rope. there should be some slack some where.
imagique
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of imagique
Quote:
On 2005-02-23 08:04, The Donster wrote:
Ever try looking up a few rope books.

As for Dondrake constantly pushing books on me... I've owned several books on escapes and have studied to memory dozens of general texts and such... Tarbell, Burling Hull's, Amateur Magicians' HB, Mark Wilson's course, Grant's escapes, etc... Even Gary Darwin's DVD set! The solution to the best CURRENT MODERN rope to be used in these effects has NEVER come up.

I am not big on books to the point of poring over every derivative manuscript ever written by Sankey, Mayne, and lost medieval German magicians, just to get a recommendation on what rope CURRENTLY SOLD AT WAL-MART would be best for the effect THAT I'VE COME UP WITH ON MY OWN THAT ISN'T IN ANY BOOKS. Someone told me that the board that I'm using MAY have been fabricated at one point by Dixie, but he told me that he never used it for the type of one-man, no -assistant Gypsy Rope tie effect that I'm using it for, and that it would be pretty much my own thing at that point.

If you're nice, I'll tell you what to use on metal when you're preparing to paint it for black art, and can't use a cloth or flocking. And this information ISN'T in any books.

Isn't THAT what this board is about, anyway?

Jimmy Fingers

To everyone else who've contributed...

With the effect that I've created, using nylon braided rope and a bad knot, or even a good one, can untie itself in the process of the out and in-again effect, and I'd like to find a rope that works a little bit better with granny knots and such. I think that most of you are thinking of tricks that don't require a return to being tied up. This effect is dependent upon that rope staying tied the way the spectator tied it. With the braided nylon rope, I've even had spectators say that it isn't the same knot, when, in fact, it is.

Thanks for all of the constructive input,

Jimmy

Correction on post above... Apologies to Don Drake, I accidentally confused him with "The Donster."

Sincerely,

Jimmy
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
If the knot won't work, but you like the rope, tell them to tie another knot, just to be sure. I've often gone as far as explaining what a half-knot is, and how a square knot can turn into a slip knot. And then they think it's being more difficult.

And having your hands turn all kinds of colors, can also be, just the way you put pressure on the ropes.

www.bladewalker.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Also try beeswax on the rope.