The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Up in smoke! :: Igniting fire evaporation? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ste
View Profile
New user
Italy
70 Posts

Profile of Ste
Hi!
From times ago I have a problem with fire props and now that I discover this wonderful Café, I can post my question to you.

To create flame from magic props one knows that there is the Kevlar wet with some igniting fluid.

I use the one used in the “Zippo” lighter to recharge it. But I noted that it’s very volatile and evaporates in little time. So if I have to use the prop after a few times I wet it, could be possible that the Kevlar will not work good. Smile

Even keeping the props covered (in order to not expose kevlar to air) the liquid
“disappears” too fast.

There is some solution to solve this problem? Other liquid, create a mixture…

Thank for your help!

Ste
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
You can use a basis of this alcohool used by jugglers for fire juggling. In French we call this kind of petrol "Kerdan" but I don't know the English word.

This kind of petrol can be kept longer on kevlar but is more hard to ignite.

Hope this helps.
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Most props that use lighter fluid have a tendency to need to be recharged right before a performance. The stuff just evaporates...

The only real exception that I have found to that is Jim Pace's Afterburn. It stays performance ready for hours! But that is an exception.

The best approach is probably to find a different material- but finding one that is visible, and easy lighting, and doesn't evaporate is a challenge.

I just make sure I have a chance to reload - and I keep a container of lighter fluid in my my bag at all times.

If someone knows of a material that "stays fresh" and doesn't smell like deisel fuel and lights good, and shows well, I certainly would also be interested.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

Profile of SpiffnikHopkins
I've been doing a lot of research on fire breathing and eating and have learned a few things that may help.

First off, I've been juggling fire for a year or 2 now and have always used lighter fluid designed for charcoal grills. The stuff is cheap, creats a nice size flame that is visable, and it smokes just a little bit for an added effect. It never even occured to me to try and pre-soak my devil sticks or juggling balls in fluid. In fact I think doing this in front of the audience as part of the show adds a great deal.

THEY SEE IT'S REAL LIGHTER FLUID.
They can identitfy with that and all of a sudden, "you are for real!".

The rest of what I have to say, I've not yet done myself, so reader beware (though I think I have a good source).

Try kerosine. It's what the French guy was talking about. Supposedly the miracle fuel for fire juggling. Much safer and less volatile then many other fuels. It has awesome properties like need a wick to burn (note: your hair, clothes, and props count!). This does mean that it won't burn even if someone drops a cig into it (DON'T TRY IT ANYWAY... DUH!). At least in theory. Also in theory if it spills a lot of places it won't burn if you hold a match to it.

Basically it's safer then most other fuels. It also burns cleaner then many fuels, while still burning nicely and doing everything you want it to.

~Spiff

P.S. pm me later if you want to know how it works out for me. I'll post it here if many people express interest.
Wil Castor
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle
144 Posts

Profile of Wil Castor
Try 100% pure parafin oil, sold for oil lamps, lights easily (though a little trickier to put out) and takes quite a while to evaporate. I don't know if it jives with fire codes though so reseach that before performing. Hope this helps
Pain is the craft entering into the apprentice.
Dabek
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
142 Posts

Profile of Dabek
I use parafin for my torches and fire wallet
it doesn't burst into flames like fresh lighter fluid but it does take much longer to evaporate and stays alight longer.
Magical Regards
Paul Dabek Smile