The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Need help with LARGE silk effect! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
David Freeman
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
20 Posts

Profile of David Freeman
Hi!

My neice is doing an interpretative dance and wants her cape to change from black to white (and maybe back to black then back to white). Any suggestions? I don't think the "Color changing silks" gimmick is the way to go, but maybe it is? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

David
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
Visibly or behind something?
Will it still be on her back?
I may be able to help you here,
I once tried the same effect. Smile

Thanks.
David Freeman
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
20 Posts

Profile of David Freeman
***New Information***

I talked to my sister today about the effect and she will NOT actually be wearing the cape; it will be pulled around her neck (or over her head) at the start of the dance. She will hold it in her hands by the corners. Then she wants to change it from white to black then back and forth several times.

Hope this new information helps.

Thanks!

David
kaznzak
View Profile
New user
Australia
60 Posts

Profile of kaznzak
David,
it should be pretty easy to work out - I have a colour changing streamer which works on exactly the same principal. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, so would struggle to give you specific directions, but I am a fairly competent sewer, and if you PM me I will give you some more specific instructions when I have it in front of me.
Cheers.

Kaz Smile
David Freeman
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
20 Posts

Profile of David Freeman
Kaz,

Thank you very much for the PM about the color changing streamer. It's very similar to what I had in my mind.

David

PS Not only are you a "fairly competent sewer", but your graphics arn't bad either! Smile
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
The method used in Albert Sita's Leopard Silk, a dealer item, would work very well for this. It would be much more effective than trying to make a large version of the
"Tarbell color change silk" ...the typical mechanical version of this. Leopard silk, even the dealer item, is made with a heavy fabric so it is suited to this type of use.
quack
David Freeman
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
20 Posts

Profile of David Freeman
Thanks for the reply Magicduck!

I don't know the mechanics of this effect. When I did an internet search, I found sites that referenced the effect, but not the effect itself. Does anyone know where I could find this in print?

Thanks!
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Hi,

I've been on vacation and just saw the message. I do not believe I have ever seen the method for this in any book. As for the effect, you show a large silk with quarter sized spots on it, give it a shake and they all fly off, landing on the floor... or so it looks. Pick them up, or throw others at it, they go back on.

In fact, the silk has a clever way of doing the color change automatically when you give it a shake by the corner.
quack