The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books/Pamphlets/Notes :: Ron Bauer's Butch, Ringo, & the Sheep (Private lesson 4) :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Anyone having spent a bit of time in the magical arts will know the name of Ron Bauer. He is pretty much an Underground Legend, and is known in most magic circles as a very creative talent. I would tend to agree.

Recently Ron re-released his Private Lesson Series, and I found a copy snuggled up inside my mailbox. The following is my thoughts on one of these lessons. Smile

Ron Bauer's Butch, Ringo, & The Sheep
The Ron Bauer Private Studies Series - Lesson Number 4
---------------oOo-----------------

Effect: You act out your favorite Urban Legend with seven quarters and a ring that never stay where you put them, especially the third time. (Seven quarters and a ring.)

An old trick, but from a whole new perspective. You see, this is not just an effect, but a drama played out as it were.
The idea being that the effect is treated much like a movie or Broadway play. What you essentially have here is a script, but it's so much more than that. Please let me explain.

The private lesson series consists of twenty four booklets, each showcasing a single effect. Only one effect? Yep, but the trick itself is just the tip of the iceberg, for there is so much more in these booklets. They contain not just secrets, but valuable lessons which provide the necessary groundwork for not only fooling your audience, but more importantly, entertaining them. Smile

I know that so often we magicians complain about magic clones, youngsters that learn from a dvd, then imitate the teacher word for word, move after move. That still is very bad form, for the student may know the secret and patter, but not really understand the true mechanics that seperate a good trick from a great magical experience.

That said, Mr. Bauer has graciously provided a map that will not only guide you to more then just secrets, but provide a pathway to becoming a better entertainer. It is on this premis that these lessons were built.

Lesson Number 4: Butch, Ringo, & the Sheep

The information in this lesson is priceless, I'm serious here.
First, each aspect of the effect is explained down to the smallest detail imaginable, and then some.

Everything from the handling of props and spectators, to the presentation is explained. Body language and movements are examined, and you are taken into the foundation of why the trick works, and what could possibly go wrong. Mr. Bauer has left nothing to chance here, believe me.

I will warn you, this is some serious stuff, and I don't mean sleight wise either. In order for the effect to play as presented, you will need to work on everything from patter to timing. Learning when to pause, and when not too. This is a complete act, a mini-movie, a story and effect that will draw your audience into a sense of real magical wonder.

The lesson I received has a colorful cover which holds 34 pages, and is really put together well. Written by Ron Bauer and illustrated by Sandra Kort, the paper alone is worth the small asking price, let alone the priceless information contained inside.

Though each lesson can be purchased and learned seperately, and indeed will stand on its own merit, the series has been designed as a full course of learning. Therefore the purchase of the entire set would be a good sound investment. Further, these booklets will not appear later as a compilation, so you better get them now.
Gee, I only have twenty three more to go! Smile

For those of you who own the original Private Studies Series, you can send the cover from any lesson to E-GADS (the distributor), and they will replace the entire book with the new color edition for FREE! Not only that, but they will even pay the postage. What a deal. Smile

I'll end this by saying, this is not only worth your time, but should be required reading for anyone who is really serious about the art of magical presentation. I cannot recommend these enough. Bottom line, buy these now!

My rating:

Available through your favorite dealer, or directly from E-GADS Electronic Graphic Art Design Studio.
Suggested retail is $10.00

You can contact E-GADS directly at: E-GADS@att.net
To visit the E-GADS site: Click here!
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks