The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Professor's Nightmare (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chris Calabrese
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
44 Posts

Profile of Chris Calabrese
I've seen a bunch of posts on the Professors Nightmare but none that answers my question. (I hope this post doesn't break the rules by giving too much away, I'll try to be as vague as possible.)

I've seen two ways to do the initial "move" in the PN. The first is to bring the small rope up and do "the move" at that point. The second is to bring the small rope up and position it normally between your index and middle finger, then you show the middle rope off by running it through your right hand and while you're doing that you drop your left hand and do "the move" at that point.

The first method is a little simpler to do and allows you to use both hands, leaving less room for error; the down side is everyone is looking right at your hands at that point, so they may pick up that you're doing something unnatural. The second method is a little more difficult and leaves more room for error, but you have the advantage of a) misdirection, because you're showing the middle rope diverting attention from your left hand, and b) your left hand is in motion making it more difficult to see.

What I want to know is, which way is prefered?
~ Chris Calabrese ~
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I prefer a third way, created by James Lewis and taught on his Million Dollar Miracles video.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
mike4dice
View Profile
New user
Randolph, NJ
84 Posts

Profile of mike4dice
You might want to look at "Professional Professor's Nightmare" by Bruce Kalver. His method allows for a very open display of all 6 ends just before the transformation.

mike Smile
"Talents are best nurtured in solitude; but character is best formed in the stormy billows of the world." - Goethe
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Get "Daryl's Rope Routine". The Karrell Fox handling, that it details, is excellent!
Allen Gittelson
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
145 Posts

Profile of Allen Gittelson
I use the method shown in Daryl's rope routine also. I perform a version of that routine with some variations. Very strong. A cornerstone of my street set.

In thoughts,
Allen
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
On the initial move

I just do a little "flip". It looks natural, takes only an eyeblink.

Then I take time and deliberately
make the ends even.
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
stick
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of stick
The method on Daryl's rope video is by far the best method I have come across. It is easily worth the price of the video alone. This effect, done correctly, is very strong.

And I managed to come up with a great ending
inspired by Dan Harlan.
Epting
View Profile
New user
france
10 Posts

Profile of Epting
Personally, I use the simple method with 2 hands at the beginning in my show, and I have no problems with the spectators ... you must have a certain entertaining to hide the secret move with this sort of method ...

Ludo .
steve proescher
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia Beach
147 Posts

Profile of steve proescher
Paul Green has a nice move on "In the Trenches" dvd.
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Wow, great suggestions. I think whichever approach to "the move" looks the most convincing to you (and your audience) should be the one you choose. Try them and decide, then you can develop the sequence through practice so that it looks natural. Good luck with your rope magic! Smile
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Victor is right, in his post, above:
Use whatever seems "right" for you.
If you asked me what move I used, I would be hard pressed for an answer, because it's one I have never seen before and it has become second nature to me.
Which raises another point:
It doesn't matter what move you do, as long as you are so comfortable with it that it is no longer a move!
In other words, only when you stop thinking of it as a "move", will you reach the right point of expertise in your handling.
Chris Calabrese
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
44 Posts

Profile of Chris Calabrese
Thanks everyone for your comments. I had actually put the ropes down for a while to concentrate on cards. Last week, in pursuit of card magic, I went to see one of the world's greatest card guys: Daryl. Other than the ambitious card routine, he did almost all rope magic. Naturally I'm very excited to be working on my rope routines again. Sheesh!
~ Chris Calabrese ~
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Right on Peter!
I have my own move too that will remain nameless.
Daniel Faith
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Check Roger Sylwester's move in an old Heirophant... NOTHING BETTER. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
iSawThat
View Profile
Regular user
The Ivory Tower
188 Posts

Profile of iSawThat
I've read that Tim Wenk has an alternative handling (with a gimmick) that allows the audience to hold 3 equal lengths, and to even cut the rope themselves, with the same PN effect. Does anyone know where I might find this?
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
iSawThat,

Check the ALLmagic guide for the single cut sequence. A good set of pictures there.

A guy in the club, does an open swing and catch kind of move where the gimmic ends are shown in plain sight! While they are moving of course.

He said he learned this while working in a shop down in L.A. And the nightmare was a
"push" (high profit sale) item in the shop.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Per the move, I found one that works for me and it falls into the second type original mentioned above.
Per the Daryl's rope routine mentioned above, does anyone know which book or dvd it's on? Thanks.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Jim:

The Karrell Fox move, which Daryl credits to him, is on Volume 8 of his ropes series. I think the video is called, "The White Rope" and is terrific...but all of Daryl's stuff is terrific!

Ron Reid
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2003-02-01 04:07, JamesinLA wrote:
Per the move, I found one that works for me and it falls into the second type original mentioned above.
Per the Daryl's rope routine mentioned above, does anyone know which book or dvd it's on? Thanks.
Jim

Daryl's Rope Routine is a manuscript with a poster that has all of the photos of the routine.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thank you Ron and Alan.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...