The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Need a source for clear plastic tube (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
I'm trying to design a trick that uses
a clear plastic cylinder (4 1/4' w x 7"h).

I'm trying to find a clear plastic sleeve that will fit loosely over this. (maybe about 4 1/2" diameter.

Any ideas of where I can find such a critter
or any readily-obtainable thing I could adapt for this purpose Smile

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Hardware stores often carry clear plastic sheets that are sturdy yet bendable. With a little hot glue I was able to make a nice Crystal Silk Cylinder with it as well as repair many strat-o-sphere's.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Don't know were you live, but around here I know of at least two acrylic fabricators. Other than a mega hardware store, they would be my starting points.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
yes - look up plastics in your phone book
tglund
View Profile
Regular user
Broomfield, CO, USA
115 Posts

Profile of tglund
I am not certain of the size, but you might try the pet store. Most pet stores sell a device for cleaning the gravel which is a large tube with a cap attached to a smaller tube. These come in various sizes.
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Also try a commercial plumbing supply house. They should be to order it for you.
He who laughs, lasts.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
Thanks for the replies.

For this application, I'll look for sheet
plastic. That way I have control over the finished size, and not have to rely on what is available.
Ray Haddad
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield Center, Connecticut
151 Posts

Profile of Ray Haddad
For plastics of all kinds including such things as acrylic top hats, cowboy hats and other neat things, go to this site:

http://www.ridoutplastics.com/

They can provide you with raw materials and the proper cements as well as manufacture the tube for you.

They also have a nice section with hints for working with plastics. They ship worldwide.

They have a minimum $100.00 order for on line orders but if you ask here for anyone living in San Diego to purchase and ship it for you, that will save you the large order. If you're anything like me, you can spend $100.00 there in a snap.

Best,
Ray
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
I may have solved this problem.

I discovered that a 3 litre soda bottle will give me the raw material for this project.

Thanks for all the help.

Smile
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
A good hobby store sells sheets of clear, and very durable, clear plastic in sheets in different thicknesses. I have made dozens of effects out of these over the years. This is sold to hobbiests for making windshields and other parts on models. The price is reasonable...probably a couple bucks a sheet max. If you are in a larger city, this is an easy to find item. Mailorder I purchase from "Micromark". I am sure they are on the net if you use a search engine and their prices are good; small, if any, minimum order. They have tons of odd, and unusual, items in their catalog. These things are perfect for making magic. A few things I have made:

Multiplying bottles
Passe/Passe bottles
Multum in Parvo
Okito Glass
various sealed liquid glasses'
quack