The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Xtreme Koin Magic-DVD Joseph Jesse (Joe the Magician) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I recently purchased this DVD and wanted to write a quick review because I had not seen one at the Café.

The DVD is set up to teach a routine. Of course many things are possible with the sleights that are taught but basically the instruction is set up to teach the routine shown.

The entire DVD was shot and edited by Joe himself so obviously this DVD does not have Hollywood level production values. That being said, the lighting, sound and camera work are all very good. There are absolutely no problems seeing what is going on at any time. The black background and Joe’s dark clothing allow his hands and the coins to be seen very plainly. Multiple angles are used throughout. The “walk-through/My view” portion of the DVD in particular is very helpful and well shot. Here, you get a “magician’s eye” view of the moves being performed. This is extremely helpful and an excellent way for the viewer to “check” his handling against what Joe is doing.

The instruction is also VERY good, Joe takes his time explaining each and every move and subtlety. I was not wanting for any additional explanation; it’s all there and spelled out very carefully.

As far as the sleights, I do not want to run down the list of sleights and moves that are taught because I believe Joe has a demo of the routine on his website and I wouldn’t want to tip the entire thing by listing all the moves used. I can say that the moves taught range from beginner to quite advanced. Fortunately, the routine can be worked to include all the moves or can be easily adapted for the novice that may have to forgo a few of the more difficult moves at first. There are about 8 sleights and 6 “eye appealing displays” of coins taught on the DVD, making for a nice mix of magic and manipulation.

Prior to ordering the DVD, I was a bit nervous as to what skill level it was aimed at. I am very new to coin magic and manipulation so I was concerned that it may be over my head. Joe told me that he set this DVD up so that anyone from beginner to an advanced coin worker can learn from it. I believe he is right, I can’t speak for the advanced worker but from my standpoint as a beginner I felt it was very good and while I can’t do everything on the DVD, with the proper work it all seems to be achievable.

Joe is also very meticulous about crediting the material on the DVD. As Joe says in the intro “Credits are a big deal in magic” and I believe that as well. Joe gives credits verbally as he explains the moves and sleights and also lists them in the closing credits of the DVD. I believe that credits are given for every single sleight and manipulation move used on the DVD. In each case, if the original source is not given or known Joe at least cites where he personally learned it.

Overall, I was very happy with the purchase of this disc. I am glad I got it and will be even happier when I’ve gotten all the moves down and can begin performing the routine or a variation thereof. If you are looking for a nice close up routine that can be done under virtually any circumstances, and clear instruction on how to learn the moves necessary, this may be the DVD for you.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Do you have his website? Now I'm interested in his coin work.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Aperazor
View Profile
Loyal user
Akron,Ohio
244 Posts

Profile of Aperazor
http://www.joethemagician.com/
Nice site and he has some nice videos for viewing.
I really liked his jumbo coin manipulation.
Thanks for the review.
Nick Zender
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10971 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Joe not only is an excellent coin worker but he is also a excellent teacher.
For me it is the material on the dvd that counts not how hollywood it is, and joe has exelled in that................................
Joe good luck with your dvd
vinny
the godfather of magic
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Dredz
View Profile
Loyal user
La Famiglia! East Coast
257 Posts

Profile of Dredz
Thanks for all of the compliments. I have a few of the first editions left... The second editions will be ready soon... I just placed second in a competition using a lot of the moves on the video.. Not bad considering this was my first competition ever... A lot of videos were sold at the convention and everyone had nothing but nice things to say about the video....
Thanks to Vandy and Vinny for taking the time to write something about the video.. I am currently working on a new coin video..... this is gonna be one of the first videos ever offerded like this.... I am keeping the content of the video a secret untill it is done... I just don't want someone else to "borrow" my ideas untill I get them out there... Thanks again and here is the link to my site. http://www.JoetheMagician.com Later
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Vinny, I agree 100 percent, when I buy a DVD, I am intrested in the instruction, and Joe's instruction is solid.

Joe, congrats on the high finish in the competition, put me down for a copy of the next dvd as well.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Dredz
View Profile
Loyal user
La Famiglia! East Coast
257 Posts

Profile of Dredz
Cool here is the trailer... http://www.joethemagician.com/Videos/media/xkmtrailer.wmv
Vandy you will get one of the first copies of the new dvd...Thanks again for all of the compliments... Later...
trombley
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of trombley
I saw joe's jumbo coin manipulation when he was shooting the video. It was awesome.