The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical equations :: Name of book dedicated to the Magic Square (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
395 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
Hi, there was a book that came out a few years ago that was dedicated to the magic square. different routines, methods etc. I don't remember the name of the book or the author. looking for some help. appreciate it.
adiabaticman
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of adiabaticman
The author is Jim Solberg. He has published three magic square books. Here's a link:
https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/easy-m......rg-book/
Watching those electrons dance on the adiabat, from Franck-Condon to the Asymptote.
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
395 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
That's it thx
Andrew Aspen
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Andrew Aspen
Magic Squares and Cubes by William Symes Andrews is also pretty good.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3556 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
DragonLore
View Profile
New user
Toronto
76 Posts

Profile of DragonLore
Hi,

I am curious if anyone could tell me:

How do these books fare against what’s in Doug Dyment’s Calculated Thoughts?
Jimso
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Jimso
I will offer some information for the benefit of anyone who is interested in the comparison. This discussion is limited to the methods for constructing four-by-four squares.

All of the 'modern' methods of construction (e.g., Dyment, Solka, Solberg), although different, are similar in their power and versatility. Each of them can begin in any cell, achieve any sum, display 52 patterns that match the same sum, etc. None is particularly hard to learn or remember, but you may find one to feel more natural than the others. Each makes use of a certain logic to describe the structure, and when that logic makes sense to you, everything seems easy. I am partial to my own methods, but I am sure the others are equally fond of their own.

If you just want to learn one method, any of those three will give you all you need. If you want to compare them to see which suits you best, you should get all three of those. In any case, you can ignore the older methods, such as those found in Andrews. Also, you should be aware that the classical method that involves a memorized square and a few adjustments to specific cells is effectively obsolete. The newer methods are superior in several ways.
DragonLore
View Profile
New user
Toronto
76 Posts

Profile of DragonLore
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2022, Jimso wrote:
I will offer some information for the benefit of anyone who is interested in the comparison.

Thank you so much, Jimso. Exactly what I was looking for —and IMO helpful to anyone owning one book wondering whether to get any of the others…
Kyle Elder
View Profile
Regular user
Fresno, California
120 Posts

Profile of Kyle Elder
Magic Square methods and tricks by James Solberg.