The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical equations :: Create A Number (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
I'll try to ask a straightforward question without giving away any details to the method. When creating a six digit number utilizing side by side digits, on occasion the method results in a new number with a leading zero. If I didn't want to have a leading zero in the final result, can I just do one more sequential computation? Then my process would be that anytime my new number would begin with a zero, I would do an additional computation and then just drop the leading digit (zero) and still have a six digit number?

Thanks in advance,
John
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Could you simply ask the spectator to reverse the digits? You would still have a problem if the last digit was also zero.

Mike
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
I just realized I have to explain how I would get a leading zero. The procedure requires the results of the first computation in the creation of the number BE REVERSED. This first computation can result in numbers such as 10, 20, 30, etc. which then have to be reversed and creates a leading zero. Further computations follow the "normal" method until the number is complete.
John

slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Mike, I'm guessing I have to reveal more info. I have a bunch of precalculated six digit numbers each preceded by a numeric prefix of their order. This list is then randomized to create an impressive array of mixed up numbers (with the numeric prefix) still associated with the original number. Thus I have random order of the original numbers and because the prefix numbers are associated with the original number, the prefixes appear to be random also. From this prefix, I can determine (guess) the number following the procedure I briefly mentioned. I just wanted a list of numbers that didn't include any leading zeros and yet retain the same numeric prefix. So I wanted to know if for my own procedure, anytime a prefix would result in a number beginning with zero, I would do an extra step. Also, I would modify my list to reflect the number with the additional step if it began with a zero.

Thanks again,
John
John

slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Found out the answer on my own. It can be done, but unfortunately you wind up with a duplicate number on the list. Oh well, even with some leading zeroes it's still a great effect.
John