The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical equations :: Apex (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
HI,
I was interested to know if anybody has any interesting presentational ideas for this mathematical routine?
owen
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Not familiar with that name. Could you describe it?

Thanks,
Jack Shalom
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Hi,
For those of you not familiar with the routine:
A spectator picks 5 cards from a pack (with the picture cards and tens removed), and places them in a face up row on the table. You explain to the spectator that you are going to form a triangle by adding the two numbers next to each other to get another number. This goes above the two numbers, but if it results in a number over 9, you take 9 away from it. You remove a prediction card and the spectator builds the triangle. The top of the triangle is left empty, you ask the spectator which card should go there, they reply as you turn over your prediction card to show that it fits as the triangles apex

It is a favourite trick of Harry Lorayne’s yet it was invented years ago by a German magician. I found it in print in Martin Gardner’s “Mathematical Carnival”, under the chapter dedicated to Pascal’s Triangle
Hope you understand,
Owen
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
If you use marked card for this trick, I think the effect will be magical, otherwise it will be a mathematical trick.

Hideo Kato

P.S.
You don't need to avoid 10 and picture cards for this trick. You can use J as 11, Q as 12 and K as 13. You always add total until you get single digit.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Owen-Daniel is WRONG!! Three years after the fact, no one will read this. I don't care. It makes me feel better to post it! HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-09-20 17:23, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Owen-Daniel is WRONG!! Three years after the fact, no one will read this. I don't care. It makes me feel better to post it! HARRY LORAYNE.

I read it and now others will too!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Quote:
On 2006-09-20 17:23:
Owen-Daniel is WRONG!! Three years after the fact, no one will read this. I don't care. It makes me feel better to post it!

Somehow I have found myself reading this almost a decade after my original post! I don't want to cause an argument here, however also don't like to leave my younger self defenceless... the claim that the original effect was by a 'German magician' (not sure why I was so vague there... perhaps I didn't have the book nearby) comes directly from Martin Gardner who writes

Quote:
Magicians know the card trick as "Apex". It was originated by a German magician, Franz Braun, who published it about 1960 in his regular column on mathematical tricks in Magie, a German magic periodical.

Perhaps this reference is wrong, I post it purely to absolve my role in any crediting issues!

Owen

PS. Perhaps what was misleading here was the fact that I used the word 'invented' rather than 'originated'. If this was the root of the problem, then I apologise for the wording!

PPS. I also brought this topic back to life so that people unfamiliar with the effect can discover it. I still perform this routine these days, though mainly for mathematicians to demonstrate how they can bring undergraduate mathematics to life!