The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical equations :: Source for Magic Equations Over the Phone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Can anyone point me to some books etc. that have magic effects that I can do over the phone?
Thanks
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Probably the best book of over-the-phone magic effects would have to be Jim Steinmeyer's "Impuzzibilities".
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Scott
Could you please tell me about what percentage of thos book is card related. I have a zillion card effects, so I'm looking for something a little different. With 29 pages I'm just wondering how many different type of effects there are other than cards?
Thanks for you responce
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
There are a total of 13 effects in this small book, and 8 of them are card tricks (actually 7 card routines and 1 card variation of a non-card routine). The others involve clocks, money and other objects.

What I love about this book is the classic Steinmeyer touch to each trick. As for the card tricks, who else could come up with 3 Card Monte or Cards Across done over the phone? Concerning the non-card tricks, I especially love "Dimes & Pennies" and the "Bermuda Triangle", which are well disguised versions of classic effects.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I've ordered the booklet.
Thanks again!
Dave
MR2Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville
179 Posts

Profile of MR2Guy
This was mentioned elsewhere in the forum, but I've been playing around with the website http://www.20q.net/, which is a site for thinking of an object, and the computer's AI asks 20 questions, and tries to guess what you are thinking. Actually, it's pretty darn good, and could be easily used as a phone effect.

Give it a try

Jason
Question every rule.
There are no absolutes.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Jason, how would you present it as a mental routine when so many people are familiar with the game 20 questions in the first place?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Impuzzibilities is a great book. I have so many new ideas now! Any others?
Many people are hip to the 20Q thing...but it's still cool.
Keep those cards and letters commin!
Dave
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
The 20q game site is fun to play.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
477 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
I have a great one I did a couple of years ago for our club. I had a conflict and was not able to make it to meeting. It was my turn to present. I had to do it over the phone.

Basic effect:
Leave six cards for the spectators. Have them pick a number but don't announce the number, they just tell you which cards the number is on. You amazingly reveal their number from the other end of the phone line.

Let me know if you want it. I have it in a spread sheet.
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I sure do! I'll PM you. I think that I have these cards in my wallet right now.
Enigmo
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Enigmo
This is an interesting thread. It would be fun to enlarge it to magic you can do over mail/email or even over great distances using other means, possibly with the help of a partner...

Slim, can you give us more details as to the content of impuzzibilites?

J-L
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I've reworked several effects from Impuzzibilities. I'm doing a recording of one today as a matter of fact, for a radio station in Washington State KLYK. I love the booklet. Cards, spare change, clocks, and some other stuff. Thirteen short effects. I've started a couple of other similar threads in other areas already.
You'd like those too.
Thanks Dave
I'm working on my new show today and I'm almost out of material so anyone with some new Ideas should chime in today and I'll try to work it into the show!
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
"Person to Person" by Lewis Jones is a book of effects which are meant to be performed over the 'phone. It contains some ingenious mathematical (and logical) principles which I have not seen elsewhere. It may be out of print. The thinking behind this book is exceptional: it would be impossible to recommend it too highly.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I've emailed Lewis about the book. About five of the effects could be used in my format....but, I'm not sure that I'll just be buying a book that is using some system that I already have used or own or already know???? I hate to bother Lewis again but maybe for a sale he'll take some time to tell me what the effects appear like?
BTW...Thanks for everyones help. I just recorded shows 12,13, and 14 today. They seem to be going GREAT! I'm sure to have a big crowd when I arrive in their town.
Thanks Again
Dave
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Can anyone point me to their favorite Martin Gardner effect? I see a Cd with 15 of his books on it for sale elsewhere. I am just beginning to read his stuff. Please point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Dave
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
I was intrigued by the discussion here and have just bought Impuzzibilities from Alakazam. Some intriguing self-working stuff that I hadn't come across before. The One O'Clock principle is certainly extremely flexible. I was working on a Cluedo type idea and although it doesn't produce a single result with nine numbers, it does produce only two possibilities.

Dave, I've got Martin Gardner's Mathematics Magic And Mystery. A whole range of maths based effects using cards, calendars, dice, dominoes, string, handjerchieves, matches, watches and paper. However, I can't think of anything from the book that would readily translate into a good radio effect.
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Lewis Jones' book is absolutely amazing.
very original thinking and some of the effects can be done even while chatting!
Impuzzibilities was also a fun read, although I think the Jones' book has effects which are by far less obvious.

N.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Hey Doc...I've got that Gardner book too. I'm working my way through it. My eyes are shot so it will take a while. I have found the Fulves books to contain the basics for many other effects released much later. Same with the Gardner book. Wish I'd gotten these books first.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Steinmeyer. Gardner, Jones and Fulves. Any others?