The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical equations :: Need help on this (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
I'm trying to track down reference info on this number force.

This was shown to a group here in Orlando about 20 years ago by Tony Slydini. Here's the force.

cut between 20-30 cards from a shuffles deck.

count the number of cards that were cut.(expl. 27)

Whatever the total is (expl 27) they add the 2 digits of the total together (expl. 2+7=0)

Turn the pack in your hands face up and count down to the card in that position (9)

remember that card, and place these cards back on the talon on the table.

The force card is always the 19th card from the top of the deck.

Peter Duffie thinks this is a Stewart James force based on the 9 principle. Does anybody have any info on this.

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Jeff,

I don't know where Slydini came up with this but, amazingly enough, I was just reading this very effect this morning!! The effect is in the Karl Fulves book entitled "The Best of Slydini...and More" and is called "Impromptu Miracle" and is on pages 19-20 of that book. Properly done, this is a miracle to the audience. I did it for a family this afternoon and just blew them away. It is totally impossible!! (Heh-heh.)

This effect is NOT mentioned in the other Karl Fulves set on Slydini ("The Magical World of Slydini"). I'm not certain if it is discussed in the L&L publication entitled "The Slydini Encores" (or something like that). I'll see if I can find this out for you.

Karl did not mention that the effect was not original with Slydini..so I just assumed that it was a Slydini original...or that Slydini got it out or a hoary old magic book. If its derivation is other that Slydini, I'd be interested in knowing what you learn in that regard. Hmmm....I wonder if Paul Choose or Pete Biro might be able to shed some insight into the origin of this effect.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.