The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: From Soup to Nuts :: What to do when it doesn't arrive? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
454 Posts

Profile of scolman
Hi guys,
I've been buying magic on-line for years and I've spent thousands of dollars on a very select group of dealers (all but one). We don't have many dealers here in South Africa so I've had to order "across the miles" as it were.
Anyway I've had 3 orders go missing in 3 years (not bad!)In the first two cases, the dealers refunded my money or gave me store credits and I was a happy camper. My general rule of thumb is that it hardly ever takes more than 4 weeks to travel from the US to Johannesburg. If its not here in 6 weeks, I start to worry.

Unfortunately the last one that didn't arrive is causing some problems. I can't seem to get this dealer to help me. I ordered something on-line on 4th June 2005. It still hasn't arrived and I've sent over 10 e mails during the 2 month period. The dealer doesn't answer my e mails and will not even send me a copy of the postal/customs documentation. What can I do? I am so frustrated and can't really afford to toss money away.

Someone please help me.
Simon
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2739 Posts

Profile of sethb
If you paid by credit card, contact the company that issued the card. Explain that your order never arrived, and ask them to reverse the charge (take it off your bill). That should solve your problem and also give the dealer a wake-up call at the same time. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
454 Posts

Profile of scolman
Thanks Sethb.
Didn't realise that you could do that. I'll get onto the bank asap.
Simon
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2739 Posts

Profile of sethb
Simon -- Hope the credit card info helps.

Although it's not widely publicized, most credit companies will permit you to dispute a charge on your card, if you can show that you ordered and paid for merchandise that did not arrive within a reasonable time. You also need to show that you have made a good faith effort to resolve the problem on your own, and have given the merchant an opportunity to correct the situation before contacting the bank.

From your post, it seems that you have met these requirements, and should be able to get some relief. Good Luck! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
13023 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2005-08-07 23:56, scolman wrote:
Thanks Sethb.
Didn't realise that you could do that. I'll get onto the bank asap.
Simon

If it's an Internet charge that means the dealer has no signature from you. If that's the case you can easily charge it back. You will ALWAYS win. I know I was a dealer and found out many times.

Matter of fact you can do this: Let's say you order thousands of dollars in electronic equipment over the Internet and receive the stuff at your home.

A few weeks later you can call the card company and say that you do not recognize the charge on your card. They will all be reversed and the card company will take no part in getting you to return the merchandise. The store where you purchased the stuff will not be able to get it back either. Doesn't matter how much email correspondance they provide to the credit card company. The dealer will always lose if they do not have a signed credit card slip. Period.

John
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
13023 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2005-08-08 08:19, sethb wrote:
Simon -- Hope the credit card info helps.

Although it's not widely publicized, most credit companies will permit you to dispute a charge on your card, if you can show that you ordered and paid for merchandise that did not arrive within a reasonable time. You also need to show that you have made a good faith effort to resolve the problem on your own, and have given the merchant an opportunity to correct the situation before contacting the bank.

From your post, it seems that you have met these requirements, and should be able to get some relief. Good Luck! SETH

You don't even have to go thru that much trouble. The burden is on the Vendor. You just tell the card company you are unhappy they send/fax you a form you fill it out and it goes to the Vendor with the chargeback info. The Vendor has to prove that you are wrong. But in the Internet world, like I stated in my post, if the vendor does not have a signed credit card slip they will lose no matter how much info they provide.

John
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Exactly two weeks ago I ordered two items from two different companies...one by check and one by credit card human transaction over phone. The former was from the creator and the latter was from a larger company. In the meantime, I've had fun trying to figure out how one of them might work. I have seen no demos on either. Both items are small enough to be easily delivered into my mailbox. Given the holidays, how long should I wait before contacting the companies?
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
I'm glad I waited...Motivational Force arrived today from its creator. It looks plenty intriguing. I read all the threads and could not deduce this. It is of the same high quality as another Radio Free Atlantis effect I purchased some years ago from Mr. Miller. That product recently generated a useful Café discussion with creative resolution and my own handling benefitted from this forum.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1576 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
I have never had any problems with a charge back ... although this happens to me rarely. I spend lots of money online for magic.
Stinkfist
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Stinkfist
The only place I buy magic is online. the only place I can actually.
I've had problems where I didn't recieve my magic for around two months and decided to change my online store to one here in canada(edmonton) and the response has been phenominal.
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
Well, I've been ordering online for about a year now, and I havent had this problem until recently. I've been ordering from a company that had free shipping (6-14 days). Usually my order would come in 3. My last order to them was sent from their warehouse 3 times in a 4 moth period, and one finally got to my house 5 months after I ordered it. I don't deal with them much any more...
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
jwebyra
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
140 Posts

Profile of jwebyra
Actually I found that sending a U.S.P.S. Money Order can make a difference. I ordered something over 5 years ago and didn't recieve it for a couple of months. I did a check with the Post Office (for a fee) and they sent me a copy of the money order and when it was cashed. I made a copy and sent a letter asking if they sent it. I week later I recieved my package.
mtso2000
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of mtso2000
I have order most of my magic online. the only problem I have had is with slow shipping. I agree that a postal money order is very good way to pay online.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Always ask your seller how quickly they will ship. This will tell you whether you want to wait. Some sellers are better than others.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
818 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Simply go through the proper channels and act accordingly.
Bill is right, have direct communication with the seller FIRST.
This is always a good way to start.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~