The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: From Soup to Nuts :: Powdering service (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mickey.w
View Profile
Veteran user
HK
313 Posts

Profile of mickey.w
Fanning powder is good, and a bottle of powder can supply up to 30/40 decks; but because of this reason some might not want to buy a whole bottle since they will use powdering for like 4-5 times, and have the rest stored in their "magic drawer".....kinda wasteful.

So is it ok for a magic shop to actually provide powdering service to people, as in having the customer pay a small amount like a dollar (US) to have their own deck powdered manually by the shop? It's quite a win/win situtation in my sense.

But is it? Would this be ok in legal and ethical terms?
anyone willing to share ideas? (it's my idea I think....at least I dun see anyone else providing this service)
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2249 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I don't see a problem with it. I don't know how much of a market there would be for it. If powder is something that someone hasn't used before, and he/she wanted to get a deck powdered to see if they like it, it'd be worth the small investment. If they didn't like it, they wouldn't have a bottle of powder just sitting around.

For someone who uses powder often, I'm sure it's more economical to buy and powder for themselves.

It seems like an idea that would have a small customer base. As far as legality and ethics, I see no problem there either.

If the shop has the powder, and they keep a can on hand for their powdering service, and they're not charging an ungodly sum, then go for it. The magician is paying for the small amount of powder, and also the man-hours (man-minutes?) of having the process done.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
I would rather have the powder sit in my drawer just in case I need to use the powder for a 6th,7th or 8th time... who cares if it sits on the magic shelf, it only costs a few bucks for a whole container anyways.... I would say give it a shot because it wont cost you anything either....
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Well being new to card magic it would have been nice to of had this option when I ordered some cards in. I got a great DVD with them and it went right through all the basics including powdering the cards. So hear I was trying to accomplish a lot of the card handling techniques and the cards were flying all over the place. Now I know it takes time and practice, but after I bought some powder(more time and shipping costs which were needless incurred) I had a lot better experience and not so much of a problem handling slippery cards.

I would have paid the buck without hesitation if it was explained to me in the beginning and even now I would still have someone else do it once my can runs dry. The only problem I could see if someone doesn't want a deck that has been opened or tampered with.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Some people are no good at roughing or powdering their decks (never powdered...but roughing can be tricky)..and at times I don't mind paying a little extra to have someone do it right.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn