The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: From Soup to Nuts :: What Would Be (In Your Opinion) The Best Features A Magic Shop Can Have? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Here is an online shop that may not have video demos or forums but you could count on that the tricks are proven and tested by a very reputable and respected magician.
I have had nothing but great service, lightning quick shipping and extremely prompt and courteous email correspondences with http://www.foolerdoolers.com
Beezer109
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Beezer109
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and for this great discussion! I agree with everyone, except those who talked about Brick and Mortar shops, simply because I don't have a brick and mortar shop within a 2 hr radius of my house. YOU GUYS MAKE IT SOUND SOOOOO GREAT (brick and mortars) and I wish so much that I could experience it. that's why I asked about Online Shops mostly.

Anyone else who has contributions to this discussion, please proceed! Thanks!...Nick
pdmedic
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of pdmedic
The biggest thing that I want is a helpful knowlegeable sales person. I would be willing to pay more to have someone who can help learn a effect and is friendly. However if pole dancers are included in the shop so much the better.
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
I think SOME of you guys are asking too much.

Only advertise what is in stock - Agree, however magic shops and online shops tend to have 2 different stock systems. If a magic shop is busy, its not practical to go an update the website after EVERY sale. However I do agree with this statement.

Demos for every trick - Demos take a lot of time, money and effort to put together. NO other area would insist on videos of products in action. You wouldnt expect Toysrus to have videos of avary toy in the shop being played with by a small child would you?

I like demos as much as everyone else, but to expect a demo for every product is insane!

Gary
vash
View Profile
New user
canada
15 Posts

Profile of vash
Most online stores don't seem to give you a good idea of the difficulty invoved in
the tricks, maybe some sort of sliding scale?

vash
The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
A GOOD brick and mortar magic shop is more than simply a retail space. Unfortunately, some of the "new model" business people these days, seem not to understand this concept and will, eventually, kill themselves - and a good number of excellent magic tricks, in their pursuit of high profits through the sale of mechanically easy and shiny products to the gullible passersby.

Example: I recently witnessed a magic shop in a mall-like setting sell the following to a group of high school kids who stated CLEARLY to the sales person behind the counter that they wanted to "buy this junk so they could destroy this magic guy at school who does all of these things by telling everybody how he does them," and the idiot behind the counter, without so much as a second thought sold them:

Copper/Silver/Brass
Hundy 500
D'Lites (set of two)
DeKraam (Leslie) Marked Deck
Stripper deck
Scotch & Soda Trick
an ITR
Cig through Quarter
Pen Thru Anything (NOT the original, I might add!)
Invisible Deck
Peek Wallet

All so that these kids could EXPOSE another magician!

And it's not the first time I've seen it happen - or had it happen to me.

So what I would like to see is someone behind the counter who would tell people like this to take a flying leap - or, better yet, sell them stuff that would NOT allow them to expose another magician and maybe, just maybe, show them how tough this stuff really is to learn, instead. While still allowing the store to turn a profit, but without damaging the business. Like selling them a copy of a basic book, like Magic for Dummies, instead. Or making them sign up for lessons before they can buy ANYTHING.

Or, make them attend a magic lecture by someone from the local club on a topic that they would have NO interest in at all, like a historical lecture on Houdini, or on the care of silks... teach them a lesson in more ways than one.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold.... with favah beans and a nice chianti!" - from Freakazoid.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
ceme20
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of ceme20
Definately a magic shop with all the newly released items. I realize fully stocked means high investment, but when I'm ready to buy it I want it NOW! So many times it's "yeah, we can order that for you" or "I don't think that's been released yet" When I have already read reviews about it. Nothing worse that walking away empty handed when you were ready to buy, and start using the latest hot item.
The Magical stage parallels that of the Stage of Life. We can step off, re-direct, and Create new Miracles as easily, and as naturally as taking in a breath...
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Online Shops?

Demo videos...not enough demo videos out there.

Also, exclusive effects.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Katterfel22
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, NC
130 Posts

Profile of Katterfel22
Ok preferably the perfect magic store has an expert magician behind the counter. They have a good selection of items and can get you what they don't have in stock.
There is a smokey back room for a magicians club.
There is a coffee machine in the back room for when the magicians are in there late at night working on ideas for new effects.
The store is open 24 hours a day.
Also the place shouldn't be easy to find. It should have to be the kind of place that you have to ask around about. This should limit the frivilous crowd.
Any rate that's my two cents. Now watch it disappear
Cave ab homine unius libri - Latin epigram
wildarr
View Profile
New user
Isle of Palms, SC
80 Posts

Profile of wildarr
Online stores?

• Accurate inventory. (If it's not in stock or you can't get it in one business day, don't display it.)
  • Specific shipping policies. Most internet stores will ship the next business day. If yours won't, say so!
  • Enough staff to get orders shipped an emails answered.
  • Accurate tracking

I am in the middle of a transaction with a Brick and Mortar shop with an online store. My order has been "Processing" for seven days. An email request for a status update has not been returned for 48 hours.

Searching through the forums, I saw only a single complaint about this store which came to a successful resolution. All other comments were glowing. However, my experience is strikingly similar to that complaint, and I feel that if you cannot handle the internet customer base with the expectations of eBusiness economy, then you shouldn't risk the bad word-of-mouth that could be caused by slow customer service.

And all I wanted to do was support the brick and mortar shop.

:cry:
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Since this is about on-line shops, I'll tell you what I want to see. I don't care much about video demos. If they have a writer who can accurately describe an effect, that's all I need.

I do want the following.

1) Good phone support
2) Knowledgeable staff
3) People who tell the truth
4) Reasonable shipping fees
5) Fast shipping
6) Overnight shipping at an extra cost, if necessary
7) People who tell the truth (that's very important)
8) Accurate descriptions of the effects.
9) Quick response to e-mails

And truthful staff.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2338 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Honesty (in print descriptions, online video demos , etc. )

Knowledgeable staff that are able to demo items competently .

A front room or front area with all the costumes, joke items , magic sets , and cheap "EZ " magic stuff aimed at tourists and beginners, with the back room reserved for the real work .